Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Phoenix View Post
    Oh and, just how are children supposed to be gay or straight? Am I the only one who thinks we're pushing them into things a little fast here?
    No you're not. Gay straight or otherwise...kids are getting pushed into sex and sexual situations way too fast these days. And most of it is going on without the parents knowledge and condoned in the schools.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

There should be laws that protect teenagers from being forced by their parents to undergo what they call "conversion therapy".

I don't think Congress should go this far, though. Sexuality is a complicated thing. If someone who is gay believes that he can become straight, perhaps he can. Or, perhaps he wasn't really gay to begin with and actually has a lot of emotional baggage that needs to be sorted out with a therapist who is neutral on the alleged causes of sexual orientation and helps the client come to his own conclusions about what he is and why he is that way.

My concern is this: when a government or the professional associations that certify and train therapists, social workers, psychologists, etc. all agree on taking a rigid stance on something, whether it is rigid about people's sexual orientation being solely a biological matter, or rigid that it is wholly a conscious choice, the people seeking help from professionals are not going to really get what they need.

Can somebody show me where the Constitution authorizes congress to decide what psychological therapies parents can buy for their children?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Can somebody show me where the Constitution authorizes congress to decide what psychological therapies parents can buy for their children?

It's really not a matter for the Constitution or the federal government, it's more of a state legislative matter, because it would fall under child welfare policy.

This is not an issue that has come up for me. I'm sure there are places around metro Detroit in which they do conversion therapy, but most insurance and Medicaid don't cover it. I know there are places in Grand Rapids that do conversion therapy. I have heard of situations in which parents try to "beat the gay out" of their kids, but that's a more clear child abuse situation because it's physical abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    It's really not a matter for the Constitution or the federal government, it's more of a state legislative matter, because it would fall under child welfare policy.

This is not an issue that has come up for me. I'm sure there are places around metro Detroit in which they do conversion therapy, but most insurance and Medicaid don't cover it. I know there are places in Grand Rapids that do conversion therapy. I have heard of situations in which parents try to "beat the gay out" of their kids, but that's a more clear child abuse situation because it's physical abuse.
    Let me put it another way: The country is about to collapse in a fiscal meltdown, the national debt is at $15 trillion and climbing, terrorist enablers are now running Egypt and the most important thing that this idiot thinks congress needs to be looking at is whether a few dozen parents are upset about their kids' sexual orientation?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    I could care less what gay couples do in their bedroom.

I don't go flaunting my hetero lifestyle in gay comunities and telling them to shut up and deal with it. That needs to go both ways.
    I agree. My biggest issue facing both sides of the argument are how they act, especially in public, in regards to their views on this stance.

Now onto this little news piece. I think these therapy sessions are bullshit, but for the Congress to try to step in and decide what practices can and can't be exercised is ridiculous. If someone wants to go to a "Cure Me, I'm Gay" class, let them. It is their money and their choice.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    There should be laws that protect teenagers from being forced by their parents to undergo what they call "conversion therapy".

I don't think Congress should go this far, though. Sexuality is a complicated thing. If someone who is gay believes that he can become straight, perhaps he can. Or, perhaps he wasn't really gay to begin with and actually has a lot of emotional baggage that needs to be sorted out with a therapist who is neutral on the alleged causes of sexual orientation and helps the client come to his own conclusions about what he is and why he is that way.

My concern is this: when a government or the professional associations that certify and train therapists, social workers, psychologists, etc. all agree on taking a rigid stance on something, whether it is rigid about people's sexual orientation being solely a biological matter, or rigid that it is wholly a conscious choice, the people seeking help from professionals are not going to really get what they need.
    Don't need more laws, what's on the books is sufficient.

At age of majority, any teen can decide for themselves what therapy they will undergo, or not.

Before that, a minor can sue for emancipation from their parents, and a judge will decide that.

The typical liberal lament of "there oughtta be a law!" has done more damage to freedom and prosperity in this country than any lack of regulation, in any sphere of human activity.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Find out why people that went from gay to straight did and give them that therapy instead.
    You have to find one first.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ReinMan View Post
    Don't need more laws, what's on the books is sufficient.

At age of majority, any teen can decide for themselves what therapy they will undergo, or not.

Before that, a minor can sue for emancipation from their parents, and a judge will decide that.

The typical liberal lament of "there oughtta be a law!" has done more damage to freedom and prosperity in this country than any lack of regulation, in any sphere of human activity.
    We do however have laws which forbid parents from subjecting their children to harmful therapies.

Given that no respectable psychiatrist would engage in this practice, and that for some unfathomable reason anyone who claims to be a minister/priest can essentially practice psychoquackery with no education or standards whatsoever, any law in Congress is unlikely to be effective.

It's a fact of life: some kids have ignorant and harmful parents. You can't wrap the world in soft padding.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    You have to find one first.
    The therapy part was a goof but I take it you've never read the Kinsey Report. Gay to straight happens all the time according to him.

If you only need one...Anne Heche. ;)
    Be Not Afraid.