Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    “It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great Nation was founded not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religious, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For that reason alone, people of other faiths have been afforded freedom of worship here.” Patrick Henry 1776

“I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus. I have little doubt that our whole country will soon be rallied to the unity of our Creator and, I hope, to the pure doctrine of Jesus also.” Thomas Jefferson

“The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: it connected in one indissoluble bond the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity.” John Quincy Adams 6th US President and son of John Adams

"God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure if we have removed their only firm basis: a conviction in the minds of men that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuga Mikey View Post
    ..to refer to purposfully unkempt long haired white dope smoking punks ...
    I think I live near their mothership. We have these guys, who in my own teenage years would have been considered NOKD greasers , except that they smoke pot and have "One Love" either tattooed on their bodies or pasted on their cars.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=helvetica]“It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great Nation was founded not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religious, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For that reason alone, people of other faiths have been afforded freedom of worship here.” Patrick Henry 1776
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/capital.asp

Snopes is unreliable liberal trash.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Even with snopes Known anti religion liberal bias I will cede you that quote as erroneous. Even so there are ten's of hundreds of quotes from founding fathers and early leaders to fully support the notion of a nation founded on Judeo-christian principles & Ideals.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    There is no majority rule over individual rights...which was my point...and god should be removed from the public forum. We are a secular country after all...

As for being the night owl. Nope, try again...
    Please find me where in our founding documents where the Founders intended this country to be secular. I'll wait.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Even with snopes Known anti religion liberal bias I will cede you that quote as erroneous. Even so there are ten's of hundreds of quotes from founding fathers and early leaders to fully support the notion of a nation founded on Judeo-christian principles & Ideals.
    I would say it would be more accurate to say that some, many, or most founding fathers could have viewed some of the principles of our founding through their religious lens, as they would their philosophical lens. Howbeit, there is truly a dearth of specific references or even convenient coincidences in the final paperwork committed to law. Their analysis is interesting reading, but only the legal product is relevant.

I would think that the burden in pursuit of some sort of religious affinity between contemporary Americans and the founding fathers would be to produce evidence in the law of uniquely Christian perspective.

I love my country and our founding fathers as much as anyone, but I simply do not buy into the narrative of who these people were and their motivations and objectives with only the honey smeared lens generally reserved for an aging Barbara Walters.

Let me flip this around. The little girl is being forced to remove God from her poem because one asshole got offended. OK. That is fact. We can all agree on that, right? OK, let's move on. And Pete here doesn't see a problem with it. In fact, he responded to my post about what I perceive to be the liberal mind set by saying that it's OK to offend the 99 but not OK to offend the 1. But let me ask you, Pete. Why were we told to shut up and take ti whenever Christianity is shit on in so called art. Piss Christ is allowed to be shown based on the 1st amendment. The depiction of the Virgin Mary covered in elephant dung or vaginas because it's protected by the 1st amendment. So what you're saying, Peter, that it's OK to offend the religious by mocking and blaspheming their religious symbols and icons and yet one person who isn't religious can't be offended by the uttering of a word that the person doesn't believe in in the first place. No, it's censorship and the trodding on the 1st amendment rights of one by claiming to be standing up for their own rights. This is undeniable.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I would say it would be more accurate to say that some, many, or most founding fathers could have viewed some of the principles of our founding through their religious lens, as they would their philosophical lens. Howbeit, there is truly a dearth of specific references or even convenient coincidences in the final paperwork committed to law. Their analysis is interesting reading, but only the legal product is relevant.

I would think that the burden in pursuit of some sort of religious affinity between contemporary Americans and the founding fathers would be to produce evidence in the law of uniquely Christian perspective.

I love my country and our founding fathers as much as anyone, but I simply do not buy into the narrative of who these people were and their motivations and objectives with only the honey smeared lens generally reserved for an aging Barbara Walters.
    The Mayflower compact , Articles of Confederation, Bill of Rights, Declaration of Independence , Bill of rights. Now in the case of Uniquely Judeo-Christian perspective There is no record of Muslims, Hindus ,Bahá'ís , Buddhism and Sikhist , taoist , ect participating in the founding of the USA but their religious freedoms were provided for as well.

Last edited by Zeus; 12-01-2012 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    ...I am sorry but you do not seem to understand the meaning of 'secular.'
    Ug. Offsetting it in quotes does not change its meaning.

secular :
    1. of or pertaining to worldly things or to things that are not regarded as religious, spiritual, or sacred;
    2. not pertaining to or connected with religion

The country is religious. As much as you don't want to believe it is or that the Founding Fathers did not inject God into our documents, their speeches, ideas and writings, etc...He is there.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterS
    Secularism in government simply means that the religious beliefs of one cannot be legislated over another.
    Excellent. No one should have a problem with putting a Nativity scene in a public park for a couple weeks each year then. No legislation is required to do so and no one is forced to believe what it represents.
    Be Not Afraid.