Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast
    Timed Out
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Not exactly and not entirely.

And Jefferson believed that public funds should be used for religious schools. And that public schools should have areas set aside for religious gatherings, texts, etc.
    This was because the only schools at the time were religious and this money was to be used for higher education not general education. You also did not mention that he ommitted religion from his 1778 Bill for the More General Diffusion of Knowledge and left religion out of his of 1817 Bill for Establishing a System of Public Education. If Jefferson believed that religion should be ingrained in public schools he had a funny way of showing it...

Jefferson also believed that only males should attend school.
    Your point?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    Huh? What is a anti-theist?
    An anti-theist is someone who, on top of not believeing in any gods, are also opposed to the idea of theism. I am an atheist, more specifically, a non-theist. I don't believe in god but I don't care if anyone else does.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Timed Out
    Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    An anti-theist is someone who, on top of not believeing in any gods, are also opposed to the idea of theism. I am an atheist, more specifically, a non-theist. I don't believe in god but I don't care if anyone else does.
    And you believe that 'anti-theism' is behind the desire to have religious objects and beliefs removed from the public sphere? Isn't the question begged: what is purpose for placing those beliefs in the public sphere? In this case here I think the purpose innocent but what if a court found otherwise? I also believe in the rule of law and so differ to it without sinister belief. Radicalism is a two way street and Christians so offended that they become radicalized are no different than the anti-theist of your definition...

And you believe that 'anti-theism' is behind the desire to have religious objects and beliefs removed from the public sphere? Isn't the question begged: what is purpose for placing those beliefs in the public sphere? In this case here I think the purpose innocent but what if a court found otherwise? I also believe in the rule of law and so differ to it without sinister belief. Radicalism is a two way street and Christians so offended that they become radicalized are no different than the anti-theist of your definition...
    No. I personally don't care who puts what up. Constitutionally I do care who puts what up. Anti-theists tend to be more outspoken in regards to these situtations. That was the point I was trying to make.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Timed Out
    Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    No. I personally don't care who puts what up. Constitutionally I do care who puts what up. Anti-theists tend to be more outspoken in regards to these situtations. That was the point I was trying to make.
    To me they sound no more outspoken then the radicals from the Christian right who go into hysterics with every perceived infringement and, as was exemplified with the discussion on the ten commandments, they have no clue when the line is crossed. This is the problem and why if not for those voices of the anti-theist there would be no voice to squelch the radical theist who has no clue when a line is crossed...

...they have no clue when the line is crossed...
    The line is crossed when you are forced to go to church each week or when we have a Church of America. That's what the establishment clause is all about stupid, you're just too stupid to realize it.
    Be Not Afraid.

Timed Out
    The line is crossed when you are forced to go to church each week or when we have a Church of America. That's what the establishment clause is all about stupid, you're just too stupid to realize it.
    But that isn't how the Supreme Court saw it nor any number of courts and thier rulings: Stone v. Graham (Supreme Court, 1980) :Posting the Ten Commandments in Schools; DiLotero v. Downey Unified School District (9th Circuit Court, 1999); Books v. Elkhart (7th Circuit Court, 2000): Ten Commandments Monument; O’Bannon v. Indiana Civil Liberties Union (7th Circuit Court, 2001); Glassroth v. Moore (2002): Judge Roy Moore & His Ten Commandments Monument; Van Orden v. Perry (Supreme Court, 2005): Ten Commandments Monument in Texas; ACLU v. McCreary County (Supreme Court, 2005): Ten Commandments Displays...to name a few.

The rulings against display are nothing new and have come from both left and right leaning courts...

And you believe that 'anti-theism' is behind the desire to have religious objects and beliefs removed from the public sphere? .

Yes. that's exactly what's going on. Garden variety Atheists like you have turned your non belief into a religion of it's own...worshipping at the altar of madeline Murray O'Haire.

People like GW...don't believe...but they aren't going to try and persicute or prosicute those that do belive...like you and others would be eager to do.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

But that isn't how the Supreme Court saw it nor any number of courts and thier rulings: Stone v. Graham (Supreme Court, 1980) :Posting the Ten Commandments in Schools; DiLotero v. Downey Unified School District (9th Circuit Court, 1999); Books v. Elkhart (7th Circuit Court, 2000): Ten Commandments Monument; O’Bannon v. Indiana Civil Liberties Union (7th Circuit Court, 2001); Glassroth v. Moore (2002): Judge Roy Moore & His Ten Commandments Monument; Van Orden v. Perry (Supreme Court, 2005): Ten Commandments Monument in Texas; ACLU v. McCreary County (Supreme Court, 2005): Ten Commandments Displays...to name a few.

The rulings against display are nothing new and have come from both left and right leaning courts...
    And their interpretation of the 1st Amendment is wrong.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Ding ding ding we have teh winnah!!!!