Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 US Government shuts down Drake's Bay Oyster Farm on bogus info.... 
    U.S. evicting Point Reyes oyster farmer

U.S. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar told a popular oyster farm at Drakes Bay on Thursday to pack up and leave, effectively ending more than a century of shellfish harvesting on the picturesque inlet where Europeans first set foot in California.

Salazar's decision ends a long-running dispute between the Drakes Bay Oyster Co. and the National Park Service over the estuary at Point Reyes National Seashore where Sir Francis Drake landed more than 400 years ago.

The National Park Service intends to turn the 2,700-acre area into the first federally designated marine wilderness area on the West Coast, giving the estuary special protected status as an unaltered ecological region. To do that, Salazar rejected the oyster company's proposal to extend its 40-year lease to harvest shellfish on 1,100 acres of the property.

Salazar gave the farm 90 days to move out, issuing his decision a day before the lease was set to expire and one week after visiting the Point Reyes National Seashore for a tour.
    LINK

Video here that will make your blood boil.

30 people lose their jobs but as long as the cute little seals and birdies are ok that's perfectly fine.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    LINK

30 people lose their jobs but as long as the cute little seals and birdies are ok that's perfectly fine.
    The oysters served at my daughters wedding came from that oyster company.
    The Church she was married at overlooks nearby Tomales Bay.

After 100 Years of operation....theres suddenly a reason....to close the place?

the interior secratary needs a nuclear enema to clear his mind
    Last edited by Meshuga Mikey; 12-01-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: additional text

Fabulous Poster
    Having grown up in the Chesapeake Bay area, and watching pissed off daddies cutting lines wrapped around their propellers, cussing old equipment left on the bottom, etc... I have always wondered by what right a person declares a section of a public waterway to be reserved for his personal or commercial use. I feel the same way about people who are too cheap to pay for a slip and keep a boat anchored in a navigable waterway.

Having said all that, I also must disclose that I have stopped eating oysters entirely in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Having grown up in the Chesapeake Bay area, and watching pissed off daddies cutting lines wrapped around their propellers, cussing old equipment left on the bottom, etc... I have always wondered by what right a person declares a section of a public waterway to be reserved for his personal or commercial use. I feel the same way about people who are too cheap to pay for a slip and keep a boat anchored in a navigable waterway.

Having said all that, I also must disclose that I have stopped eating oysters entirely in the last few years.
    You'd have to ask the National Parks Service who gave them the lease to be there. Also, as it was part of Point Reyes National Park, it was a destination for the public to visit while they were visiting the park.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post

The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    LINK

the interior secratary needs a nuclear enema to clear his mind''

I just heard the Farm owner on the local radio,,,KSFO in Sf.

Salizar claimed there was a 80 percent drop in the local seal population.....but it was nowhere NEAR the oyster farm.

the owners are NOT being reimbursed.

they are to KILL ten million....oysters..before leaving...as if that will make the REGIME feel better I guess.

the green commies have won another one

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuga Mikey View Post
    The Church she was married at overlooks nearby Tomales Bay.

the interior secratary needs a nuclear enema to clear his mind

After 100 years of being there, and considering there are only 30 employees, I'm guessing it's not a huge operation. I doubt it has anything to do with drops in seal and bird populations.

Surely, there is a way to allow the business to continue and protect the seals and birds. I'm all for protecting the seals, they are kind of cool animals.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    After 100 years of being there, and considering there are only 30 employees, I'm guessing it's not a huge operation. I doubt it has anything to do with drops in seal and bird populations.

Surely, there is a way to allow the business to continue and protect the seals and birds. I'm all for protecting the seals, they are kind of cool animals.
    Secratary Moonbat isnt really concerned with anything but CONTROL.

We need these oysters to eat and we are an endangered species, the government is encroaching on our ancestral feeding grounds.