Thread: US Government shuts down Drake's Bay Oyster Farm on bogus info....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    We need these oysters to eat and we are an endangered species, the government is encroaching on our ancestral feeding grounds.
    12-03-2012 DRAKES BAY OYSTER COMPANY PROMISES TO FIGHT NATIONAL PARK SERVICE DECISION

MARIN COUNTY, CA – Drakes Bay Oyster Company (DBOC) Owner Kevin Lunny announces today a continued effort to fight for his family’s business that was shut down by the National Park Service on November 30. Retaining the help of government accountability group Cause of Action as well as Stoel Rives LLP, DBOC released the following statement today from Kevin Lunny:

“We have been a dedicated small family farm for four generations in the West Marin community and when we purchased Drakes Bay Oyster Company seven years ago, we saw an opportunity to revive a part of our community that would provide local jobs, sustainable products for local businesses, and a positive long-term impact on the Bay itself.

The National Park Service has not just shut down our business, but has misrepresented the law, our contracts with the State of California, and the results of scientific studies.

It Aint Over Yet!!

if we are still a Nation Of Laws....and the terms in thier contract that Read IN PERPETUITY MEANS anything...this is going to be QUITE a FIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Having grown up in the Chesapeake Bay area, and watching pissed off daddies cutting lines wrapped around their propellers, cussing old equipment left on the bottom, etc... I have always wondered by what right a person declares a section of a public waterway to be reserved for his personal or commercial use. I feel the same way about people who are too cheap to pay for a slip and keep a boat anchored in a navigable waterway.

Having said all that, I also must disclose that I have stopped eating oysters entirely in the last few years.
    The persons involved didn't unilaterally declare the right to use the waterway, they had a lease, which they paid for, and under the terms of that lease, they developed the area in order to suit their business. That investment of time, labor and money, over the course of a century of doing business there, should give them some consideration, but the administration sees business as something to be suppressed so that urban enviro-lefties can feel good about a patch of water that they will never bother going to. The thirty jobs that will be lost may not seem like much, but multiply that over the whole economy, and you have millions out of work because of the policies of this administration. However, you can say that when they came for the oyster farmers, you didn't say anything because you didn't eat oysters. Eventually, when they come for the tofu, it will be too late for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuga Mikey View Post
    The oysters served at my daughters wedding came from that oyster company.

After 100 Years of operation....theres suddenly a reason....to close the place?

the interior secratary needs a nuclear enema to clear his mind''

I just heard the Farm owner on the local radio,,,KSFO in Sf.

Salizar claimed there was a 80 percent drop in the local seal population.....but it was nowhere NEAR the oyster farm.

the owners are NOT being reimbursed.

they are to KILL ten million....oysters..before leaving...as if that will make the REGIME feel better I guess.

the green commies have won another one
    It's an oyster holocaust! Tell PETA! Maybe they can speak to their fellow environment whack jobs to save the oysters.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    After 100 years of being there, and considering there are only 30 employees, I'm guessing it's not a huge operation. I doubt it has anything to do with drops in seal and bird populations.

Surely, there is a way to allow the business to continue and protect the seals and birds. I'm all for protecting the seals, they are kind of cool animals.
    It's not about the seals or the birds. If it were, then they'd have cited specifics about changes in population of fish and birds, and presented the studies to everyone. They'd have also taken steps to mitigate the damage before simply closing down the entire operation. They didn't do any of that. This is about power, pure and simple, and kowtowing to environmentalists.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!