Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Mccain Ads Pulled Today At 5pm 
    MCCAIN ADS PULLED TODAY AT 5PM
    From NBC's Carrie Dann
    Virginia-based firm Smart Media, which conducts media buying around the country for the McCain campaign, sent out this urgent memo this afternoon addressed to "All National Managers."

RE: Suspend all McCain for President Advertising
    "As you are aware, the John McCain for President Campaign has suspended all campaigning to address the current national financial crisis. Effective 5pm today, September 24th, 2008, all advertising for the McCain for President Campaign must cease. Please notify your stations immediately."

A West coast media buying executive not working with the McCain camp tells NBC News that pulling ads isn't quite as easy as sending out such a directive. "Stations are telling me it can't happen," says the exec. "The campaign knows that it can't happen." That's because computer logs with already-scheduled ad placements may already be locked in.

The ad buyer adds that stations will likely have problems trying to stop ads from running tonight, and some may not be able to get off the air by tomorrow.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archi...4/1443815.aspx

Ok, so he is "suspending" his campaign so he can go back to Washington and do his job as Senator. Good for him. Obama should go too. Although the whold "suspend the campaing" thing seems a bit overdone. We have a crisis going on, our Senators need to be in Washington. So cancel some appearances and debates and stuff like that, but the terminology of suspending the campaign is just weird.

But not as weird as this. Why would he pull his ads just because he is going back to Washington for a bit? Look, I'm not a McCain supporter. I'm still in mourning over Hillary's loss. But this just makes no sense to me and I thought maybe those of you here might be able to 'splain it to me.
    Last edited by bijou; 09-25-2008 at 02:10 AM. Reason: To put into B/N format

Eyelids
    This just does not make sense, its one thing to cancel campaign appearances but to stop advertising? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    This just does not make sense, its one thing to cancel campaign appearances but to stop advertising? Why?
    Logistically and financially it would be possible to continue ads while performing as a Senator. Professionally speaking, John McCain does not want to taint his Senatorial decisions regarding the National emergency by politicizing them.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Logistically and financially it would be possible to continue ads while performing as a Senator. Professionally speaking, John McCain does not want to taint his Senatorial decisions regarding the National emergency by politicizing them.
    How many Senators running for reelection run ads while in office? Almost all of them.

How many Senators running for reelection run ads while in office? Almost all of them.
    How many senators running for President in 2008 suspend their campaigns to actually do the job they were elected for....1.

Sonnabend
    Because he has more important concerns, because he said he was suspending his campaign, because part of that campaign are ads..and because John McCain is putting his country first.

Something that snivelling communist Obama can learn from, if he ever unjams his head from his ass long enough.

McCain is doing what a good President should do. Attend to the greater good...even if it costs him the election

My respect for this man just increased a hundredfold.

Siddown, shut the fuck up and learn, Eyecysts.

Uh-Bama said "we should not politicize this financial crises and we must all come together for the good of the country." He then refused to meet Senator McCain's proposal to suspend his campaign.

Now McCain walks the talk while Uh-Bama merely speaks platitudes and spews rhetoric. Apparently Uh-Bama's advice is meant for everyone but himself.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

I think it's a great idea for two reasons. First, as is said, he was elected to serve the people and nation and his presence in DC during this crisis shows he's putting the country first. If obamessiah continues, it makes him look detached from it all which I hope happens. That'll make him look like what he is, a self centered opportunist whose only aim is to gain the White House and country be damned.

Second, I think quite a few Americans will be delighted NOT to see campaign ads one after the other all day and night on local TV. Thank God for cable. I only use the local stations for local news.
    Last edited by Chuck58; 09-25-2008 at 12:02 PM.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    McCain is doing what a good President should do. Attend to the greater good...even if it costs him the election.
    +1 (it's a brilliant move)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    +1 (it's a brilliant move)
    It's not going over well with the public.