Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Timed Out
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    First, it's an open forum. If you don't want anyone else to comment, send a PM.

Second, I do not recall any conservatives demanding that a Republican president bail them out when they have failed. Most conservatives get upset when a Republican president backs off from a position that was adopted in order to gain support from conservatives, but I don't recall seeing anyone demand a quid pro quo, certainly not as blatantly as this. Perhaps you can cite an example?
    The response by OP was incorrect becuse my reply was with respect to SR's on reparations for slavery...and howmany conservatives are reelected when they vote against their constituents wishes. Doesn't the Tea Party actively seek to have those who go against their wishes removed? Isn't... I will vote for you if you vote the way I like ...Quid Pro Quo?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    The response by OP was incorrect becuse my reply was with respect to SR's on reparations for slavery...and howmany conservatives are reelected when they vote against their constituents wishes. Doesn't the Tea Party actively seek to have those who go against their wishes removed? Isn't... I will vote for you if you vote the way I like ...Quid Pro Quo?
    By the way it's not "Tea"...it's "TEA" shor for Taxed Enough Already...and it sprung from people not wanting the taxes that are about to hit all of us becaue of Obamacare.

And who they support are Conservatives...people that are Conservative the way Reagan was. Not these power hungry RINO's like John Boehner.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Timed Out
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    By the way it's not "Tea"...it's "TEA" shor for Taxed Enough Already...and it sprung from people not wanting the taxes that are about to hit all of us becaue of Obamacare.

And who they support are Conservatives...people that are Conservative the way Reagan was. Not these power hungry RINO's like John Boehner.
    And yet my point remains the same...

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Fieger is still in the public eye? That man had more stink then John Edwards 15 years ago.

He got charged in federal court for something involving Edwards' campaign and walked away from it. He runs really smarmy ads during the local morning news. You can see them at his website

http://www.inmyamerica.com

If you go to this site and click on any of his videos, I advise you have a puke bucket nearby. I will not be held responsible for any damages to your personal property, and if you try to hold me responsible, guess who my lawyer will be!

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    As you may or may not know, the USA is a constitutional republic. We vote for representatives who mostly align with our views to represent us in their public capacity, whatever that may be. This is not a quid pro quo arrangement.

On the other hand, Miss Detroit is demanding government largesse in exchange for voter loyalty. She wants Bronco to send back the bacon (which is quite insensitive towards muzzies); an exchange of goods for services rendered. Thats quid pro quo, you communist dung heap.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Can you explain why it's bad?
    Well, besides it being tantamount to buying votes if a President gives preferential treatment and taxpayer dollars to a city just because that city in a contested/swing state voted for him, it's also bad because the auto-bailouts pumped a ton of money into Detroit already... at some point you have to stop throwing money down the sink-hole.

Can you explain why it's bad?
    OK, since you apparently are talking about slave reparations, I'll bite. But in order to further this conversation I need to ask, why, exactly do blacks(because apparently only blacks were slaves and only whites were slave owners) deserve something they in no way are or were directly involved with or affected by?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    OK, since you apparently are talking about slave reparations, I'll bite. But in order to further this conversation I need to ask, why, exactly do blacks(because apparently only blacks were slaves and only whites were slave owners) deserve something they in no way are or were directly involved with or affected by?
    I think I'm gonna sue for reparations. My ancestors owned slaves and had to provide them a job, housing, food, clothing, medical care, etc. and we need to be repaid for all that loss of wealth.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Before we can discuss whether reparations are a good idea, answer the following questions:

• My family came over in 1905, fifty years after the end of slavery. Why should I have to pay reparations?
    • Egypt kept Jews as slaves. If the descendants of slaves in America are entitled to reparations, am I entitled to a cut of the tourist trade from the pyramids?
    • Can anyone who is of the prescribed color get reparations, or must they be a descendant of slaves brought from Africa to the United States. If the latter, what percentage of one's ancestors must have been slaves in order to qualify?
    • Must any person who is paying reparations be a descendant of actual slave-holders? After all, as I pointed out above, my family came here fifty years after the end of slavery. Also, many of the descendants of slave-holders are not wealthy today. The Civil War, Reconstruction and a host of other issues have reduced many of the fortunes of those people. How are they to make up the payments?
    • What concessions are we going to receive in return for reparations? Do persons who accept them forfeit the right, in perpetuity, to ever again raise the issues of slavery, Jim Crow or any other historical inequity as an excuse for their failures in life? Can they still play the race card? Can we end affirmative action, diversity training, identity politics, etc.? Will there still be a presumption that America is a racist nation? Will the media accept that one can criticize the policies of a candidate of color without being a racist?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Before we can discuss whether reparations are a good idea, answer the following questions:

[LIST][*]My family came over in 1905, fifty years after the end of slavery. Why should I have to pay reparations?
    Most Americans, even those who were here in the 18th and 19th centuries, did not own slaves. Even most Southerners did not own slaves. Just before the civil war, the total number of American whites who owned slaves was 385,000 out of 27 million white Americans. That is about 1.2%. (Most of these were concentrated in the south, with 6% of Southern Whites owning slaves.) Then there is the additional problem that a certain percentage of freed American blacks actually owned slaves.

So, even if we only look at Americans who were here during slavery, how do we distinguish that small percentage which owned slaves from the vast majority that did not?

In other words, there is no real way to be fair in any question of reparations. One could argue that the Federal government should pay reparations in the same way that it pays certain Indian tribes. The problem there is that the Federal Government actually had written treaties with these tribes and there is a legal basis for honoring these obligations.