Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Broad-brush time.

Americans generally have a well-developed concept of right versus wrong. Even politicians that get caught with their pants down in a public toilet with another occupant in the stall know what the deal is.

Those who aspire to power/participation in the UN also have a well-developed concept of right versus wrong.

The difference is, the UN participants willingly and blatantly extort, lie, cheat, bribe, swindle, and manipulate their way through life, especially where and when diplomatic immunity is enjoyed.

Power and money go hand-in-hand. The criminals at the highest levels in the UN and even NATO want more of both.

This nonsense of "a world council" and "human rights" and the rest of the nauseating buzzwords those shysters use to extort yet more money from a clueless people is just as pronounced as Kofi Annan's lies and half-truths.
    U.S. Army, Retired

Why do Democrats hate America?
    Be Not Afraid.

Name ONE useful thing the UN has done in its entire miserable history... Just one.
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Name ONE useful thing the UN has done in its entire miserable history... Just one.
    They established Israel as a state, the only good thing they have done, it's time for them to go home now.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I cant remember the last war that was between true democracies? I could be wrong but I can't remember the last one.
    Argentina and Great Britain over the Faulklands maybe? Only one that comes close that I can think of. And that was more of a pissing contest rather than a flat out war. Never mind, at the time of this Argentina was under a dictatorship. Point taken Bailey. Good thinking.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post

UNICEF was a good program when I was a kid. They were key to stamping out polio in the 3rd world.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    They established Israel as a state, the only good thing they have done, it's time for them to go home now.
    The partition vote didn't create Israel, it simply gave the UN's blessing to the status quo, and even then they failed to do anything to enforce it when the Arabs rejected it and invaded. Since then, they have exacerbated the problems by perpetuating the Palestinian refugee problem. Their aid programs kept the Palestinians dependent on the UN, and kept the UN bureaucracy entrenched in the region. This was so lucrative for both sides that the UN changed their definition of a refugee to include the descendents of refugees (by previous law, the only person who can claim refugee status is the individual who was driven out of his/her home, while children born in a host country are to be considered residents of the host). Thus, the Palestinians are the only refugee people on Earth who have never set foot in their alleged homeland. On the Arab side, when the neighboring countries saw that the UN was providing food and life support to the refugees, the various regimes opened up their slums and drove many of their poorest residents into the camps, inflating the numbers dramatically. UNICEF, BTW, was one of the agencies that perpetuated this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I cant remember the last war that was between true democracies? I could be wrong but I can't remember the last one.
    Certainly no major wars that I can think of. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...en_democracies) has a list of wars between nominal democracies, but it's pretty sparce, and when you look at what constitutes a democracy on the list, it really reinforces the argument. For example, the American Revolution and War of 1812 are listed, since Britain had a parliamentary system, but since that system didn't apply to the colonies, which were directly administered by the Crown, it's a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    UNICEF was a good program when I was a kid. They were key to stamping out polio in the 3rd world.
    UNICEF does far more bad than good, especially today. From National Review Online:

Tricked by UNICEFAmericans mostly know UNICEF through the “trick or treat for UNICEF” campaigns. The “trick” is on the donors who think that UNICEF is all about helping poor children.

UNICEF has been a major financier of Palestinian “summer camps” which encourage children to become suicide bombers. One such camp is named for Wafa Idris, a female suicide bomber.

During the late 1990s, UNICEF served as a propaganda organ of the Saddam Hussein regime. Relying solely on Iraqi government statistics, UNICEF and the Saddam government co-authored a report asserting that over a million children in Iraq died because of U.N. sanctions. A map on the first page of the report depicted Kuwait as a province of Iraq.

UNICEF is the primary funder for the “Palestinian Youth Association for Leadership and Rights Activation” (PYALARA), which UNICEF calls “a major strategic partner in Palestine.” Materials produced by the group are frequently used in schools operated by UNICEF.

PYALARA publishes a 16-page newspaper for young people, The Youth Times (TYT). It is distributed at Palestinian universities, colleges, community centers, and in the many U.N.-operated schools in Palestinian areas.

The organization claims that its mission is “expanding awareness of one’s roots and identity, environment and culture, as well as of other countries and the world at large.” Yet PYALARA’s products follow the typical line of terrorist propaganda, in which nothing is the fault of the Palestinians, everything is the fault of the Jews, and there is never any effort to consider the merits of Israel’s position on anything.

For example, one PYALARA article was admiring a biography of the recently-deceased terrorist Abu Ali Mustafa.

Mustafa was the head of the terrorist group the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), a branch of Yassir Arafat’s Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO). Mustafa met his demise at the hands of Israeli forces in 2001. In the months before Mustafa’s death, his terrorist group had assassinated an Israeli Cabinet Minister, set off three car bombs in Jerusalem, and carried out many other terrorist attacks.

Earlier, Mustafa and the PLFP had worked with the Japanese Red Army (a Communist terrorist group) and slaughtered 24 people at Israel’s Ben Gurion International Airport. In 1976, the PFLP hijacked an Air France flight. After refueling in Libya, they flew to Entebbe, Uganda, which was, at the time, ruled by the insane, genocidal tyrant Idi Amin.

The PFLP hijackers, assisted by Amin’s army, demanded that five nations release 53 named, convicted terrorists, or else the plane and its passengers would be blown up.

The Israeli Defense Forces carried out a daring raid on the Entebbe airport, killing the hijackers and their Ugandan accomplices, and rescuing all the hostages. The IDF rescue planes touched down at Ben Gurion Airport on July 4, 1976.

One of the few Israeli casualties in the rescue was Lt. Col. Yoni Netanyahu, whose brother Benjamin would later become Prime Minister of Israel.

So what did the UNICEF-funded PYALARA have to tell young people about the terrorist mastermind Abu Ali Mustafa? That he was “a political leader…whose history prides his nationalistic activism.” Mourning the death of the terrorist, the magazine whined “this is a human being who has a family that awaits his arrival every day.” Sympathy would have been better directed to the many innocents who were murdered at Mustafa’s direction.

Then, in a lie typical of the Palestinian propaganda press, the PYALARA claimed “the Israelis could have turned to Abu Ali Mustafa to talk peace if peace were what they truly wanted.” In truth, Mustafa was always an adamant foe of negotiations, opposed even to Arafat’s strategy of going through the motions of peace negotiations in order to distract attention from his devotion for war.

Shortly before becoming head of the PFLP, Mustafa was interviewed by Al-Jazeera. He stated: “We believe the conflict and the struggle against Israel is a strategic [principle] that is not subordinated to any consideration.” Thus, “We believe the Palestinian people, both in the Diaspora and under occupation, have the right to struggle using all means, including the armed struggle, because we think the conflict is the constant, while the means and tactics are the variables.”

Not that UNICEF blames Israel for everything. Bianca Jagger, in her official capacity as “UNICEF ambassador,” has toured the Middle East telling audiences that the United States is the source of evil in the modern world.

As for the actual needs of children, UNICEF is sometimes an obstacle to progress. For example, UNICEF has been pressuring Guatemala to stop allowing inter-country adoptions. That is, UNICEF would prefer a child to languish in a Guatemalan orphanage rather than be adopted by a loving family in the United States.

UNICEF’s focus on politics and political correctness has come at the expense of saving the lives of the approximately ten million children under the age of five who die each year from preventable causes.According to UNICEF, the major cause of child poverty in the world is the free market—even though countries with free markets have vastly lower levels of child poverty than do the kleptocratic, statist economies extolled by UNICEF.

A 2003 report praised the North Korean dictatorship:

the particular strength of the DPRK’s policy framework lies in its comprehensiveness, integration and consistency in addressing the interests of children and women. It has been aligned with the collective production system. The Government has proactively broadened and updated its laws and policies on an ongoing basis, also making an effort to harmonize with international innovations and standards.

The Executive Director of UNICEF is traditionally chosen by the United States (although nominally appointed by the U.N. Secretary-General). All of the abuses described above took place during the tenure of Executive Director Carol Bellamy, who was selected by President Clinton in 1995. In May 2005, President Bush chose former Secretary of Agriculture Ann Veneman as executive director.

While there is no reason to believe that Veneman shares Bellamy’s extreme Left agenda, it would be fair to say that she has a long way to go to fix UNICEF. The organization today stills promotes the Brazilian gun prohibition lobby Viva Rio, and funds the pro-terrorist Palestinian Youth Association for Leadership and Rights Activation as one of its “partners” in what it calls “occupied Palestinian territory.” UNICEF also “partners” with the Palestinian Red Crescent Society, which uses ambulances to transport terrorists and their weapons, and whose personnel have participated in suicide bombings.

UNICEF’s executive board includes China (whose forced abortion policy is neither pro-life, nor pro-choice, nor pro-child) and Bhutan (where children are among the many victims of the regime’s human rights abuses). UNICEF has doled out unaccountable money to the North Korean regime.

Under Veneman, UNICEF is not as bad as it was under Bellamy, and even under Bellamy, the organization performed some good works. However, most people who give money to groups which help children would prefer that none of their donations be used to finance terrorism, the destruction of civil liberties, or tyranny.

Dave Kopel is research director of the Independence Institute, in Golden, Colorado.

© National Review Online 2012. All Rights Reserved.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I was a kid in the late 60s and 70s, when Danny Kaye was still UNICEF's spokesman and they were working to vaccinate children in the 3rd world. And they were successful back then, in stamping out polio and smallpox.

Religious charities have really stepped up in this area since then. I sponsor a child in Kenya through church, and that ensures that she gets food, water, medical care and an education. One really good thing is that unlike UNICEF, I get a statement from the church every year that tells me exactly how the money is spent. I could even go visit my child on a missions trip if I could afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I was a kid in the late 60s and 70s, when Danny Kaye was still UNICEF's spokesman and they were working to vaccinate children in the 3rd world. And they were successful back then, in stamping out polio and smallpox.

Religious charities have really stepped up in this area since then. I sponsor a child in Kenya through church, and that ensures that she gets food, water, medical care and an education. One really good thing is that unlike UNICEF, I get a statement from the church every year that tells me exactly how the money is spent. I could even go visit my child on a missions trip if I could afford it.
    Religious charities have stepped up because UNICEF has taken the goodwill that it built up in its early days and squandered it on radical projects and anti-democratic acts. Even when the UN has done good things, it ends up corrupting them. The Korean War, which was conducted under UN auspices, kept South Korea free, but led to a proliferation of peacekeeping missions which have since become mired in corruption and scandal, most egregiously including human trafficking allegations against peacekeepers in Africa and Kosovo. The UN has become a shameful waste of resources at best, and a despicable enabler of tyranny, injustice and horror at its worst. It needs to go away.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I won't say that I hate the United Nations. Hate is a strong word. However, I will say that I severely dislike the UN and feel like the world is going to hell in a handbasket because they gave "Palestine" their own seat. Since when do terrorists get respect? Whatever.