Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Illegal immigrant gets kidney 
    By Michael Holtz, Chicago Tribune reporter

December 9, 2012

As an illegal immigrant, Jorge Mariscal waited eight years for a kidney transplant he feared would never come.

His persistence paid off Thursday when he underwent the procedure at Loyola University Medical Center.

After years of uncertainties, Mariscal said he's excited about his future and grateful for the help he received. But he remains frustrated with a health care system that he worries might leave out an untold number of illegal immigrants in need of lifesaving treatments.

"Why can't we be treated the same?" he asked while sitting in his hospital room. "Health care should be a human right, not a privilege. At least give us the chance to fight for our lives with dignity."

Mariscal's treatment is far from over. The pills he'll need to make sure his body doesn't reject the new organ can cost upward of $10,000 a year for the rest of his life. And paying for those, just like the surgery, is complicated by his immigration status.

Although Loyola agreed to cover the costs of the transplant, Mariscal will have to pay for the medicine. He applied for a grant through the Simon Bolivar Foundation, a medical nonprofit, that would help cover his first year of anti-rejection pills. But without health insurance, he expects he'll have to pay for most of his medication.Read More>http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3537821.story
    Okay now that he has new giblets, send him back to Mexico.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

I'm thinking we should be able to go down to Mexico and vacation for free, fair enough?
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

I was cracking up at the audacity of some people until I found out this article was not in The Onion. Then I was sad.
    Be Not Afraid.

I should be able to grab a Mexican and have him give me his services whatever they may be for free. My truck needs life saving repairs, why can't I drive in dignity,

You fix cars Garcia, good fix mine for free, why should you gain from my hardship?

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    "Why can't we be treated the same?" he asked while sitting in his hospital room.
    Actually, he's being treated better.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fabulous Poster
    His mother donated the kidney. As opposed to illegal immigration as I am, noblesse oblige would be that we must care for the people who pick our tomatoes, and then deport them.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    His mother donated the kidney. As opposed to illegal immigration as I am, noblesse oblige would be that we must care for the people who pick our tomatoes, and then deport them.
    That is fine and it is the hospitals business what charity they give, all that irritated me was his preachy little statement when all he should have been doing is saying thank you and showing gratitude.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    That is fine and it is the hospitals business what charity they give, all that irritated me was his preachy little statement when all he should have been doing is saying thank you and showing gratitude.
    Agreed

At least that didn't come from a taxpayer, although that would have made for a perfect metaphor.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Why do we have to care for them? They came here illegally; we didn't ask them to come. If anything the enablers that hire the border jumpers should be made responsible for them and if it wipes them out financially then so be it.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ