1. #1 Japan poised to shoot down North Korean missile 
    The Japanese government has ordered its military to shoot down the missile that is expected to be launched by North Korea as early as Monday.

By Julian Ryall in Tokyo

3:00PM GMT 07 Dec 2012

The order to destroy the missile should any part of it threaten to fall onto Japanese territory was issued after a meeting of the Security Council of Japan met and was informed that North Korea has begun filling a fuel tank alongside the launch pad at the Sohae Satellite Launching Station in preparation for the launch.

Japan has already deployed Patriot Advanced Capability-3 missile batteries in Tokyo, as well as in Okinawa and at locations along the northern and western coasts facing the Korean Peninsula.

Three Japanese destroyers equipped with the advanced Aegis detect-and-destroy weapons system have been deployed in the Sea of Japan. The US has also stationed warships in the area to monitor the launch.

New satellite images released on Friday indicate that snow may have slowed the preparations, but Pyongyang shouuld still be ready for liftoff starting on Monday.
    Read More>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...n-missile.html
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I wonder how much of our help they want on this.

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    They've got as much help from the US as they need if they're sporting advanced Aegis destroyers under a Japanese flag...

I'm sure they expect the same amount of help they got from our government they received during the devastating tsunami and earthquake a couple years back.
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Well, all of the equipment they're using for this, we supplied to them. So they got quite a bit.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I'm sure they expect the same amount of help they got from our government they received during the devastating tsunami and earthquake a couple years back.
    So quite a bit then.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

Yes we will help. Japan will shoot down the missile and then Obama will apologize for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I keep reading articles about how places we're in -- such as South Korea and Japan -- there's a lot of resistance to us maintaining a permanent military presence there. But then it's like... at the first sign of conflict with the belligerent nations of the region, or a disaster, or whatever, they want our help. And then a month later they complain about us being there.

I feel like our allies are kinda using us for help, but then aren't nice in return. And it's like... if that's how they're going to act (ungrateful)... maybe we should start getting more of what we want. Like, I don't know... maybe they could help defray the cost of constantly bailing them out? Does that sound crazy? :p

I keep reading articles about how places we're in -- such as South Korea and Japan -- there's a lot of resistance to us maintaining a permanent military presence there. But then it's like... at the first sign of conflict with the belligerent nations of the region, or a disaster, or whatever, they want our help. And then a month later they complain about us being there.

I feel like our allies are kinda using us for help, but then aren't nice in return. And it's like... if that's how they're going to act (ungrateful)... maybe we should start getting more of what we want. Like, I don't know... maybe they could help defray the cost of constantly bailing them out? Does that sound crazy? :p
    We didn't want Germany or Japan to have control over their own military after WWII yet we couldn't leave them unprotected, sooner or later that needs to expire and I do believe the transition is being made.
    With S. Korea we are not so much protecting them from N.Korea as we are protecting them from China that dwarfs them in size and strength.

In Japan it depends on the region. Up at Misawa we had a wonderful relationship with the community. There would be an occasional protest, of 4 or 5 Japanese hippies, but by and large it was great. There was a point in time where the entirety of US Forces Japan was put on a base lock down, due to the idiocy of our personnel. Misawa was the only exempt base because we had no issue with the locals.

You get down to the Tokyo area, yeah more shenanigans happen but it's not as big a deal. It's such a large area that one or two American's being stupid just gets drowned out by everything else going on.

In Okinawa is where we have the biggest issue, and it's where the loudest cry for us to get out of there is. Just recently USFJ again had to order a curfew for all US Personnel because of another rape in Okinawa. I believe there has been about a dozen American on Japanese rapes on the Island since 1995, not to mention other crimes that take place. The local government in Okinawa has caused the largest amount of problems for us, and our negotiations with our troop levels with the Japanese government are all regarding Okinawa as well.

I will say one thing that always made me a bit ashamed. Of the nearly 8 years I've had living in Japan, the only time I ever felt the need to lock my car doors was when I was on a US base.