Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated 
    Chrysler workers who were fired or suspended two years ago after a MyFoxDetroit investigation found them drinking and goofing off during lunch break are back on the job.

MyFoxDetroit first aired the footage of the Chrysler workers in September 2010. Video showed them in a park during the work day, drinking alcohol from bottles covered in brown paper bags and smoking what appeared to be marijuana.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz2EYC7q9iY

Since the original incident, it appears Chrysler has taken this issue far more seriously.

At another assembly plant, private investigators were hired to stake out a nearby neighborhood bar and grill.

IIRC, of the twenty or so workers who regularly took their lunch there, three were fired for repeatedly (five days in a row) having a three-beer lunch before returning to work.

One of the three was a fork driver. The plant's a safer place, now...

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    But MyFoxDetroit reports that following a union-backed arbitration process, the employees were reinstated. This week, they came back to work.
    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz2EYzyddIC

I AM SHOCKED!!! Shocked I tell you!!!

How DARE the ebil Chrysler deprive their wage slaves of liquids!!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Fabulous Poster
    As a person who comes from a family and a place where alcohol was not omnipresent and maybe even a little taboo, I have been given to believe that Pennsylvanians drink beer in the daytime and that factory workers there were known to drink beer at lunch. My parents have always been surprised at the number of people at the officers club who drink at lunch. Maybe we're just a bit stuffy or backward. Even I, who in my youth drank andotherstuff more than I should have, never drank at lunch or during work.

When I worked in Delaware, the woman at the place where I bought breakfast once told me that she had a beer before work. She went to work at 6am. I couldn't imagine stomaching a beer at 6am. I once tried having a glass of scotch with breakfast because I read it in a book, and what happened wasn't pretty.

I'm not a saint, even if I am now a teetotaler. I just don't get it. I have never understood drinking in the daytime, on the beach, on the boat, etc.... I have never enjoyed mixing alcohol with food either. Alcohol, in my book, is something you do at night, preferably in bars and discos.

Rob, when that initially happened I posted about the issues that would surface and pose problems with their firing. Their returning to work was inevitable, two years without pay was a stiff lesson to learn as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ReinMan View Post
    Since the original incident, it appears Chrysler has taken this issue far more seriously.

At another assembly plant, private investigators were hired to stake out a nearby neighborhood bar and grill.
    Makes absolute sense and good for Chrysler.

Quote Originally Posted by Artois View Post
    Rob, when that initially happened I posted about the issues that would surface and pose problems with their firing. Their returning to work was inevitable, two years without pay was a stiff lesson to learn as well.

Makes absolute sense and good for Chrysler.
    I have no doubt that the Union will demand that they get back pay, since the original firing was set aside, and they will get it, especially now that the union owns the courts. Two years of vacation isn't a stiff lesson for them, it's a stiff lesson for us.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I have no doubt that the Union will demand that they get back pay, since the original firing was set aside, and they will get it, especially now that the union owns the courts. Two years of vacation isn't a stiff lesson for them, it's a stiff lesson for us.
    That would likely be a separate grievance unless the arbitrator included it in their resolution. Regardless though, corporate/union grievances are typically handled in arbitration not the courts. While I'm not sure how the UAW Local and that Chrysler Plant handle it, generally they take turns choosing an arbitrator from a mutually agreed upon pool. For what it's worth, I'd be inclined to believe that they'd be unlikely to receive back pay. I have a lot of experience in this matter too.
    Last edited by Artois; 12-09-2012 at 02:12 PM.

The chances of me ever buying another Chrysler product were about zero before the incident, so..........

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    As a person who comes from a family and a place where alcohol was not omnipresent and maybe even a little taboo, I have been given to believe that Pennsylvanians drink beer in the daytime and that factory workers there were known to drink beer at lunch. My parents have always been surprised at the number of people at the officers club who drink at lunch. Maybe we're just a bit stuffy or backward. Even I, who in my youth drank andotherstuff more than I should have, never drank at lunch or during work.

When I worked in Delaware, the woman at the place where I bought breakfast once told me that she had a beer before work. She went to work at 6am. I couldn't imagine stomaching a beer at 6am. I once tried having a glass of scotch with breakfast because I read it in a book, and what happened wasn't pretty.

I'm not a saint, even if I am now a teetotaler. I just don't get it. I have never understood drinking in the daytime, on the beach, on the boat, etc.... I have never enjoyed mixing alcohol with food either. Alcohol, in my book, is something you do at night, preferably in bars and discos.
    So you are pro drinking and operating heavy factory machinery. No surprise that with a liberal as long as it's union doing it, it is fine.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    The chances of me ever buying another Chrysler product were about zero before the incident, so..........
    I just bought my wife a new car. It was a Hyundai. The only American car I will buy is a Ford. My next truck will be a Ford.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.