Thread: kicking the can

1. #1 kicking the can 
    With 24 days remaining to strike a deal, the two sides remain far apart. House Speaker John Boehner claimed Friday that President Obama’s offers are just “more of the same.” Democrats say Republicans have to give more on taxes before they can reach a serious agreement.

Given this divide, it may seem counterintuitive that lawmakers left themselves just two months to negotiate their way out of the crisis – the two months after Election Day and before the Jan 1 deadline.

But the reality is that lawmakers have been trying to strike this kind of a deal for years, and each time ended up pushing off the very toughest decisions to a future date. The current stand-off is the result of these incremental maneuvers and delayed decisions.

More
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Repubs, led by Cry Baby Boehner, are going to fold like a cheap lawn chair.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Reb View Post
    Repubs, led by Cry Baby Boehner, are going to fold like a cheap lawn chair.
    Yup.

Boehner's holding the shit end of the stick, and everybody knows it. Barry's riding his post-election hang-10 and the Repubs (save the few Tea Partiers who were rewarded with their convictions by being stripped of their committee assignments by none other than the guy holding that stick I just mentioned) are trying and failing to provide a paper towel to Boehner to prevent smearing.

I expect tears at any time now.

He's probably saving up for New Year's Eve.
    U.S. Army, Retired

Pathetic.

Mark my words. There WILL be a deal with the Democrats. The Fiscal cliff is a big myth.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor