Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Not to me, they aren't. First joining a union is a prerequisite for working in a number of industries in those states with closed shops. If I can be compelled to join a union and pay it dues, then I should not have to support the political agenda of the unions leadership. Even if the funds for contributions are raised separately from dues, the leadership can extort contributions through their control of the livelyhoods of their members. If union membership in a given industry is mandatory, then dues should only be collected to cover the mandatory expenses of the union, i.e., those related to collective bargaining.

That's why they did the service fee thing. One of my ex-coworkers quit the union because they supported pro choice candidates. When she was disciplined for some seriously bad things, she was still represented by the union because she paid that fee. The reason she "was allowed to resign" had nothing to do with her union membership and everything to do with fraud.

My union does not represent any side in arguments between one member and another. Management are not members of my union, from my first-line supervisor all the way up. Some of them have their own union (I think), but it is small and not the same as mine (UAW-again, I don't think we should be allowed to have the UAW represent us, because they give money to political campaigns).

Unions. Forever stuck in the 1930s.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    That's why they did the service fee thing. One of my ex-coworkers quit the union because they supported pro choice candidates. When she was disciplined for some seriously bad things, she was still represented by the union because she paid that fee. The reason she "was allowed to resign" had nothing to do with her union membership and everything to do with fraud.

My union does not represent any side in arguments between one member and another. Management are not members of my union, from my first-line supervisor all the way up. Some of them have their own union (I think), but it is small and not the same as mine (UAW-again, I don't think we should be allowed to have the UAW represent us, because they give money to political campaigns).
    Even paying service fees is stretching it. I wouldn't give any union a single red cent until I looked at their LM-2 filing, which declares the amounts paid out in support of collective bargaining and representation. There are clear instances of fraud and graft evident in these filings. UAW Local 174, IIRC, one year filed an LM-2 on which they stated $0. Local 600 filed one that itemized nearly $40K in softball field rental, and uniform and equipment purchases under 'collective bargaining and representation'.

I don't know about your union, but most floor-level UAW stewards are on the Company payroll, not the Union's. That means, that their job, as paid by the Company is to represent the company's employees to Management. And I would say regardless of union affiliation.

Given the above, I typically equate Big Labor's mewling and bitching about right to work with the (very similar) bitching and moaning I used to get from the Steward, whose idiot skilled tradesman I just gave five days off for getting caught sleeping...

Just like white noise.

Today the Unions acted like an Occupy rally in Lansing. A pack of wild apes. Many RTW supporters were assaulted. They tore a tent of RTW supporters down trapping multiple people in wheelchairs. Several Detroit school districts were shut down today so the teachers could go to this. Detroit has an 8% literacy rate among middle schoolers, the teachers have nothing to bitch about.

Like I said, I think the Michigan public will see this for what it is, and I don't think it will hurt Snyder that much in the long run.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Today the Unions acted like an Occupy rally in Lansing. A pack of wild apes. Many RTW supporters were assaulted. They tore a tent of RTW supporters down trapping multiple people in wheelchairs. Several Detroit school districts were shut down today so the teachers could go to this. Detroit has an 8% literacy rate among middle schoolers, the teachers have nothing to bitch about.

Like I said, I think the Michigan public will see this for what it is, and I don't think it will hurt Snyder that much in the long run.
    Unions. Stuck in the 1930s. I hope the insults and slurs from the PravdaPundits and their lackeys come flying regarding these white people.

There's some video of the unions on the attack acting like the animals they are. I went to CNN to watch it. Wasn't there of course but they did have a link to a video of the top songs of the year. Remember when they were about news?

26,000 kids didn't have school today because the teachers called out sick to go to this. Any teacher that called out sick and was spotted at the rally should be fired immediately. Oh, wait, that's what happens if I behave that way. Nevermind.
    Be Not Afraid.

Speaking as someone who has been in a couple of major unions(Teamsters/PBA) and who has held a minor position of leadership in a union, IMO unions are nothing more than an arm of the Democratic Party. Also, these mindless drones out picketing and such have no idea that unions and their leadership don't give 2 craps about them. The union I'm in now is run by most useless bunch of idiots I've ever had the displeasure of knowing. They do some good. They provide the employees an advocate against unfair treatment or unsafe working conditions. But for the most part, unions will destroy a company just to who how strong they think they are. I finally got fed up with the ineptitude of my union and, with several other fellow employees, and vented my displeasure on how crappy the union is and am now going to try to organize ourselves into our own unit free from any brand name union.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    [QUOTE=NJCardFan;542857]They provide the employees an advocate against unfair treatment or unsafe working conditions. QUOTE]

The government does that these days. Unions only provide huge sums of money to left wing politicians who provide huge contracts to unions who provide huge sums of money to left wing politicians who provide huge contracts to unions who provide huge sums of money to left wing politicians who provide huge contracts to unions who provide huge sums of money to left wing politicians who provide huge contracts to unions who provide huge sums of money to left wing politicians....................................... .....

BTW, I read where Thug Hoffa has threatened a 'civil war'. I wonder who they're going to get to manage it?

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Reb View Post

BTW, I read where Thug Hoffa has threatened a 'civil war'. I wonder who they're going to get to manage it?

I campaigned for him in '96 and '98 and met him at a rally in Philly. Have a pic of me with him somewhere. I was a big union dope back then. Got sucked into the whole nonsense. Fortunately, I grew up.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I campaigned for him in '96 and '98 and met him at a rally in Philly. Have a pic of me with him somewhere. I was a big union dope back then. Got sucked into the whole nonsense. Fortunately, I grew up.
    That's part of being a conservative. Liberals never grow up. They are idealistic and naive their entire lives.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[QUOTE=Unreconstructed Reb;542936]
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    They provide the employees an advocate against unfair treatment or unsafe working conditions. QUOTE]

The government does that these days.
    Unfortunately, and one of the primary reasons for the continued existence of unions, they don't do so in an effective or efficient manner. While contrary to popular belief, not every union sends large amounts into political coffers. Certainly not in comparison to corporate PACS.