Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    It took until December 10th?

I've been saying Merry Christmas since July 5th. That's the start date of the season on my war on the war on Christmas.

LOL.

I don't actually believe there's any kind of real war on Christmas going on, other than the occasional atheist with Daddy issues suing over some public nativity display. They've been around for a while. When I worked retail, I said different greetings/sale endings for each customer, randomly, so I wasn't saying the same thing repeatedly. I wished my friends at the middle eastern restaurant "Happy Holidays", because I don't want to offend them, but I hope they enjoy the season. They might be muslims, but they decorated their restaurant for Christmas. No menorahs, though.

There is the other ongoing war with the secular Christmas and the Christian Christmas. But religious figurine makers have found a tacky way to combine them into figurines of Santa worshipping baby Jesus.

Good grief. People who are offended at Merry Christmas are just miserable human beings.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Good grief. People who are offended at Merry Christmas are just miserable human beings.
    QFT. The Army has an acronym for the days between federal holidays and weekends (like the Friday after Thanksgiving), which is DONSA, for Day Of No Scheduled Activities. December 25th, for example, is a federal holiday, but this year December 24th is a DONSA. This is why I refer to our office's Christmas tree as a DONSA bush. It's gotten a laugh, and the DONSA carols are particularly festive.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    QFT. The Army has an acronym for the days between federal holidays and weekends (like the Friday after Thanksgiving), which is DONSA, for Day Of No Scheduled Activities. December 25th, for example, is a federal holiday, but this year December 24th is a DONSA. This is why I refer to our office's Christmas tree as a DONSA bush. It's gotten a laugh, and the DONSA carols are particularly festive.

I love government acronyms!

I hope you still get a chance to get out and have a traditional Jewish Christmas Dinner at your local Chinese restaurant!

All I have to say to that is, "God Bless You"

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I love government acronyms!

I hope you still get a chance to get out and have a traditional Jewish Christmas Dinner at your local Chinese restaurant!
    Mrs. O isn't Jewish, so we do Christmas dinner at the house. This year, it's roast beef with Yorkshire Pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    All I have to say to that is, "God Bless You"
    Even if they haven't sneezed?
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Joyous Kwanzaa, Happy Solstice Day, or Happy Holidays. I don't care if you say any of these to me. I hope they have a good day as well. Damn super-progressive Liberals making me look bad.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I hate the term DONSA. Always called it a 3-Day or 4-Day at Bragg. I get to Lewis and it's all I hear. Make it go away, Ody.

P.S.: DONSA Bush is classic. (And also PC)
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Actually, it is if you're Catholic and your bible contains the books Maccabees I and II. Chanukah can be seen as part of your Old Testament background. (Protestant bibles stop at Hosea, I believe, and usually don't contain the books of Maccabees or consider them apocryphal.) The Maccabees (Hasmonean dynasty) ruled Judea for about 100 years or so, until internal division and the intervention of Pompey eventually brought the area under Roman rule. Christ was born about 40 years after the fall of the last Maccabees (Aristobulus and his brother John Hyrcanus), and about 30 years or so after Christ's Crucifixion, Judea erupted in full scale war against the Romans in the first Jewish uprising (AD 66).

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...Maccabees.html
    Right.

Plus, I keep thinking that since Christianity descended from Judaism, you're not really going against God to recognize one of those holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    I hate the term DONSA. Always called it a 3-Day or 4-Day at Bragg. I get to Lewis and it's all I hear. Make it go away, Ody.

P.S.: DONSA Bush is classic. (And also PC)
    Would that I could. The best that I can do is ridicule it through various allusions (like the DONSA bush) and carolling around the office. It's beginning to look a lot like DONSA, White DONSA and Have yourself a merry little DONSA are much more effective than a policy memo at eliminating that kind of silliness.

I did know an O6 who hated the acronym TEWT, for Training Event Without Troops, and used to put "Programmed Event Not Involving Soldiers" on his training schedules, but that acronym would really blow somebody's gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Right.

Plus, I keep thinking that since Christianity descended from Judaism, you're not really going against God to recognize one of those holidays.
    Unless, of course, you're Jewish. Now stop with your heresies and let me get back to my DONSA candles.
    --Odysseus