Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Judge finds NC ‘Choose Life’ plates unconstitutional 
    December 10, 2012, by Joe Borlik
    RALEIGH, N.C. – A federal judge has ruled it is unconstitutional for North Carolina to issue pro-life license plates unless the state offers similar plates supporting abortion rights.

U.S. District Court Judge James C. Fox ruled on Friday that North Carolina cannot produce or distribute the “Choose Life” plate.

Judge Fox concluded, “The State’s offering of a Choose Life license plate in the absence of a pro-choice plate constitutes viewpoint discrimination in violation of the First Amendment.”

The American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina Legal Foundation had filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina in Sept. 2011 on behalf of North Carolinians seeking a specialty license plate that supports a woman’s right to reproductive freedom.
    Read More>http://myfox8.com/2012/12/10/judge-f...onstitutional/
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

RALEIGH, N.C. – A federal judge has ruled it is unconstitutional for North Carolina to issue pro-life license plates unless the state offers similar plates supporting abortion rights.

Okay, easy solution. Offer a "Choose to Abort" license plate with picture of a fetus and a red X over it. Okay, that was a little mean. Offer a "My Right to Choose" license plate with a picture of a woman... enjoying herself? I don't know. Seems like it would be easy to meet the judge's interpretation of constitutional requirements.

Six amendments were proposed in the legislature to authorize an additional new plate that stated either, “Trust Women. Respect Choice,” or simply “Respect Choice.” The legislature rejected all six amendments.

Oh okay, the legislation needs find a way to authorize the inclusion of the viewpoint as a license plate option, without individuals voting on the measure seeming like they are supporting the viewpoint.

Seems like, if a person want to drive around in a car that advertises/identifies himself as pro-choice... in North Carolina... yeah might as well let him. Although, I have no idea why you would be proud of a pro-choice stance. To each his own, I guess.
    Last edited by m00; 12-10-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Choose Life.

Choose Death.

Done and done.

Choose Murder, Choose The Easy Way Out. Choose It and Lose It. All viable substitutions.
    Be Not Afraid.

Virginia DMV Revokes World’s Greatest License Plate

People got no sense of "let it go", these days.

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post

Okay, easy solution. Offer a "Choose to Abort" license plate with picture of a fetus and a red X over it. Okay, that was a little mean. Offer a "My Right to Choose" license plate with a picture of a woman... enjoying herself? I don't know. Seems like it would be easy to meet the judge's interpretation of constitutional requirements.

Six amendments were proposed in the legislature to authorize an additional new plate that stated either, “Trust Women. Respect Choice,” or simply “Respect Choice.” The legislature rejected all six amendments.

Oh okay, the legislation needs find a way to authorize the inclusion of the viewpoint as a license plate option, without individuals voting on the measure seeming like they are supporting the viewpoint.

Seems like, if a person want to drive around in a car that advertises/identifies himself as pro-choice... in North Carolina... yeah might as well let him. Although, I have no idea why you would be proud of a pro-choice stance. To each his own, I guess.

I have a better solution. No political messages as license plates.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I like that. It also keeps your car safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Why?

My guess is that this plate is still OK to get?

The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    My guess is that this plate is still OK to get?

That's not North Carolina. That's Virginia.

Damned state laws! :)

My preference is not to have any political messages on my car. That way, I don't have to deal with vandalism or nasty notes.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    Why?
    Because it's a state owned registration device, not a bumper sticker.

Moreover, vanity plates are decided by state employees based on content. So they should be done away with as well. If Paul can have John 316 on his car then Peter should be able to have "Fk Jn316" on his car.