Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    "Government related" is "no place for politics?"

But my thinking is with Adam on this. It's the best kind of tax -- voluntary.
    They can collect taxes from the private sector sales of stickers. I wonder how many .gov jobs could be cut if vanity plate departments were eliminated?
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Ditto
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Reb View Post
    They can collect taxes from the private sector sales of stickers. I wonder how many .gov jobs could be cut if vanity plate departments were eliminated?

I don't know about other states, but in Michigan, license plates are made by prison inmates, not by paid employees.

I don't have a problem with specialty plates to raise funds for state colleges/universities or for specific, non-political causes like Veteren's services.

I have a standard plate. It will eventually need to be replaced, but at the time I got this one, the standard plate had the image of the Mackinac Bridge on it, so I like it. They generally hold up for about 10 years before the rust gets them.

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't know about other states, but in Michigan, license plates are made by prison inmates, not by paid employees.

I don't have a problem with specialty plates to raise funds for state colleges/universities or for specific, non-political causes like Veteren's services.

I have a standard plate. It will eventually need to be replaced, but at the time I got this one, the standard plate had the image of the Mackinac Bridge on it, so I like it. They generally hold up for about 10 years before the rust gets them.

SC has 148 specialty plate choices. There has to be a staff to administer the speciality plate program which includes maintaining a website. With a government staff comes a budget and a bureaucracy all of which ends up costing taxpayers. Also, prisoners don't work for free. They might not get paid much but they're getting paid and there has to be a staff to manage the payroll.

BTW, Michigan prisoners get paid to make plates which means they are essentially paid employees. Wouldn't surprise me to find out that they have a fuggin union....................
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ