Hybrid View

1. #1 Indianapolis Mayor's statement about greening city's fleet 

Mayor Ballard's statement about greening city's fleet

INDIANAPOLIS -- Calling it a vital national security issue, Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard today signed Executive Order #6, 2012 making Indianapolis the first city in the nation to require the purchase of either electric or plug-in hybrid vehicles for the city's non-police fleet. Mayor Ballard outlined his proposal this morning in a speech to the Greater Indianapolis Progress Committee.

"The United States' current transportation energy model, driven by oil, exacts an enormous cost financially and in terms of strategic leverage," said Mayor Ballard, a retired Marine Officer and Gulf War Veteran. "Our oil dependence in some cases places the fruits of our labor into the hands of dictators united against the people of the United States."

MORE@IndyStar.com

Is this the future of the republican leadership? To emulate Statism like the Mercedes Marxist? Two things:

1) I guess conservative principles completely escaped this genius when he decided to be a republican. And ...

2) I have to surmise he missed the memo that we have more oil and natural gas reserves than anyone else in the world.

Just because idiots like him at the top of both parties wont let us touch our own reserves, doesnt mean we dont have them. We dont have to be dependent on anyone (overseas) as he suggests to his mentally deficient electorate.

So rather than be dependent as he says on "foreign dictators", we should opt to be oppressed by Statist thugs within our own government? Really?? These are the numbnuts we choose to "lead" our country? America must be home to some of the dumbest voters in the entire civilized world.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

No one really believes electric cars are worth the purchase price yet. Maybe they never will be; takes too long to charge 'em back up when they go dead. Besides, the EPA mileage for most of them is around 75 miles per charge, and that's if you don't have to use the AC or heat.

I've got a lot of money riding on natural gas, so I'm biased in that direction. But I'm not alone. The Honda Civic comes in a NG version, and they will sell you a device (called a Phill) that sucks natural gas out of the home pipes and refuels your car overnight, or you can buy in in Indianapolis for $2.00/Gal of Gas Equivalent (GGE).

Idiot, zealot politicians make stupid "decisions", though. And we'll never see the last of that.

At least he went with CNG for the snowplows and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    No one really believes electric cars are worth the purchase price yet. Maybe they never will be; takes too long to charge 'em back up when they go dead. Besides, the EPA mileage for most of them is around 75 miles per charge, and that's if you don't have to use the AC or heat.

I've got a lot of money riding on natural gas, so I'm biased in that direction. But I'm not alone. The Honda Civic comes in a NG version, and they will sell you a device (called a Phill) that sucks natural gas out of the home pipes and refuels your car overnight, or you can buy in in Indianapolis for $2.00/Gal of Gas Equivalent (GGE).

Idiot, zealot politicians make stupid "decisions", though. And we'll never see the last of that.

At least he went with CNG for the snowplows and stuff.

I think that electric cars are good for city government work-they won't be used to drive out of the area and they don't go very fast, so accidents should decrease. They're not practical for me as a personal vehicle because I like to drive fast.

"electric or plug-in hybrid vehicles for the city's non-police fleet."

Meh, he's the Mayor. What the fleet consists of for his employees is entirely in his domain. If he wants city employees to all look like dorks in their Smart Cars and Priuses then that's his call :) I'm for anything that lowers the civil servant to its proper place in society.