Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Latest hell for ex-U.S. Marine: Chained to bed in Mexican jail 

Latest hell for ex-U.S. Marine: Chained to bed in Mexican jail

MEXICO CITY — As a U.S. Marine, Jon Hammar endured nightmarish tension patrolling the war-ravaged streets of Iraq’s Fallujah. When he came home, the brutality of war still pinging around his brain, mental peace proved elusive.

Surfing provided the only respite.

“The only time Hammar is not losing his mind is when he’s on the water,” said a fellow Marine veteran, Ian McDonough.

Hammar and McDonough devised a plan: They’d buy a used motor home, load on the surfboards and drive from the Miami area to Costa Rica to find “someplace to be left alone, someplace far off the grid,” McDonough said.

They made it to only the Mexican border. Hammar is in a Matamoros prison, where he spends much of his time chained to a bed and facing death threats from gangsters. He’s off the grid, for sure, in walking distance of the U.S. border. But it’s more of a black hole than a place to heal a troubled soul. >>>

“He was housed in a wing controlled by the drug cartel,” said Eddie Varon-Levy, a Mexican lawyer hired by the family.

Varon-Levy said that Hammar, if convicted, could receive a sentence of anywhere from three to 12 years in a federal prison.

Making matters worse is the nature of Hammar’s confinement, a matter that’s drawn the attention of Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Fla., the chairwoman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee and the Hammars’ local representative. >>>

So far, Hammar’s parents have gotten little help from U.S. diplomats.

“They take a real hands-off approach. Unless your life is at threat, they aren’t going to do anything,” Olivia Hammar said.

For Garcia and dozens of other Marines who’ve learned of Hammar’s plight, it’s hardly conceivable not to take action.

“He doesn’t deserve this,” Garcia said. “We never leave a brother behind. We never leave a Marine behind. We have to do something.”

MORE@McClatchy

In 0bamas world Americans losing their lives in other lands might be "a bump in the road". Unfortunately this marine is going to have to wait till this regime is out of power.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

They need a Mexican - the right kind of Mexican - to walk them through the extortion demands and pay the right people. It doesn't sound like his family understands how things work in Mexico, and they keep trying to use the Mexican system as if it were the American system.

I would not take any sort of firearm into Mexico. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    They need a Mexican - the right kind of Mexican - to walk them through the extortion demands and pay the right people. It doesn't sound like his family understands how things work in Mexico, and they keep trying to use the Mexican system as if it were the American system.

You are right. Although, maybe his family does understand and just doesn't have the money to bribe the officials.

I noticed the Mexican lawyer (Varon-Levy) is Jewish. That may not work out all that well in Mexico. If it was me, I'd start looking for an attorney with a Castilian Spanish name. You know, like José Antonio Gómez Iglesias Rodriquez de Ricardo y Carmita..... Better than nothing.....

Rep. Duncan Hunter, a California Republican and Marine combat veteran, called on Americans Thursday to boycott Mexico until that nation releases Jon Hammar, a former U.S. marine, from prison.

Mr. Hunter also said he is prepared to go to Mexico personally to demand Mr. Hammar's release.

Mexican authorities are holding Mr. Hammer on weapons charges after he carried his grandfather's antique shotgun across the border into Mexico in August.

Photos from Matamoros state prison show Mr. Hammar shackled to his bed.

More@WashingtonTimes

'bout damn time.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post

I wouldn't either, but then, neither of us is Eric Holder.

This ought to be a no-brainer for our consulate. The guy had no intent to smuggle the weapon, he declared it at customs, and it was an antique. I suspect that this is a response to Fast and Furious, which the Mexicans rightfully consider a serious attack on their people.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

They announced on The Factor tonight that he's in the process of being released today. O'Reilly in particular has been hammering the Mexican gov't to release him. Here's hoping that nothing happens the last minute.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Great news!

I am happy to report Marine Jon Hammar has been released from Mexican prison and is on American soil!!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/2...ico-being.html
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Excellent! Nuke MX now. Except for the resorts...
    May the FORCE be with you!

“No American should be in a Mexican jail for five months without being able to have his case in front of a judge,” Nelson said.
    No sheet. Unless your an American from the 0bama Regime of course.
    Just ask Lord Barry... when he has the time.

Nice Christmas present.