1. #1 Conservative? Liberal? Your Office Space Reveals All. 
    Conservative or Liberal? Workspace Reveals All

Jeanna Bryner
    Senior Writer
    LiveScience.com
    Thu Sep 25, 8:46 AM ET

Your office or bedroom holds telltale signs of whether you are a conservative or a liberal, finds a new study. While political conservatives tend to keep a tidy, organized office, political liberals favor colorful, more stylish but cluttered spaces.

A person may hide their political ideology from others, including from pollsters, but the researchers were delighted to learn that a peek into subjects' living quarters or even workspaces could give that away.

Conservatives and liberals leave behind distinct "behavioral residue" that can be picked up by savvy scientists and possibly other observers, according to the study by New York University psychologist John Jost and his colleagues. The results are set for publication in a forthcoming issue of the journal Political Psychology.

Office snoops

The researchers took inventory of five office locations - a commercial real estate agency, an advertising agency, a business school, an architectural firm and a retail bank - all in a large U.S. city. They had observers check out the workspaces of 94 male and female employees. The subjects' average age was 37. The snoopers had no idea of the workers' political orientation.

Political orientation was measured with survey questions.

Liberals' offices were judged as significantly more distinctive, comfortable, stylish, modern, and colorful and as less conventional and ordinary, in comparison with conservatives' offices, Jost said.

The researchers also sent snoopers into the living spaces of 76 undergraduates at the University of California, Berkeley, arriving at similar results.

"Conservative rooms tended to be cleaner, more brightly lit, better organized, less cluttered, and also more conventional and ordinary in terms of decoration," Jost said during a panel discussion on "The Neuroscience of Elections and Human Decision-Making" at NYU, adding: "Conservatives' rooms were rated by independent raters as better organized and tidier in general."

Specifically, individuals who reported a more conservative ideology also had bedrooms that contained more organizational and cleaning supplies, including calendars, postage stamps, ironing boards and laundry baskets.

Liberals' rooms on the other hand were marked by more clutter, including more CDs, a greater variety of CDs, a greater variety of books and more color in the room in general.
    More at the link. I don't know that I'd put "comfortable" and "cluttered" in the same sentence that way.

Live Science

This guy must have been a Liberial idot.

At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I only know two liberals. Their houses are disgusting. They're not rich though. I imagine if they could afford a maid their houses would look great.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Liberal Room

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

noonwitch
    My house is clean and well-organized. My office is another matter.

Have you heard the story of the student who asked Albert Einstein, "Dr. Einstein, how many feet are there in a mile?"

Einstein said he didn't know.

The student assumed he had to be joking, but when pressed for an explanation, Einstein answered, "I make it a rule not to clutter my mind with simple information that I can find in a book in five minutes."
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Your office or bedroom holds telltale signs of whether you are a conservative or a liberal, finds a new study. While political conservatives tend to keep a tidy, organized office, political liberals favor colorful, more stylish but cluttered spaces.

They obviously have never seen my office.

We recently were called by our alarm company notifying us that the alarm was triggered by our front door opening while we were away. They sent the police and gave me the number of the police dept to call and check on things.

I called and left a message. A few minutes later, the police lady called and I asked her how the house looked.

She said that every room in the house seemed in order and was spotless - except the office, which looked like someone had emptied all of the files out and scattered them all over searching for something.

I had to admit that I had left it that way. My wife will not let me live it down and reminds me of that every chance she gets.

(my office is STILL that way) :o
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.