1. #1 After Christmas Thoughts - A Story of Saint Nicholas 
    or the origins of punch a heretic day

Well, if tradition is true, that little boy was also richly rewarded by Jolly Old Saint Nicholas since the good Saint Nick allegedly "h-slapped" ("heretic slapped") the heresiarch Arius. You see, Arius wrongly taught that Christ was not fully divine but rather a mere creature. Arius taught that Christ had been created by God the Father.

During the First Ecumenical Council of Nicea (AD 325), Arius was called upon to defend his position on the inferiority of Christ. Saint Nicholas just couldn't listen to all of Arius' nonsense and so he stood up and laid in to Arius with his fist.

The Emperor Constantine and the bishops present at the Council were alarmed by Nicholas' act of violence against Arius. They immediately stripped Nicholas of his office as a bishop by confiscating the two items that marked out a man as a Christian bishop: Nicholas' personal copy of the Gospels and his pallium (the vestment worn by all bishops in the East).

Now if that were the end of the story, we probably wouldn't know about Saint Nicholas, and our children wouldn't be asking him for presents. However, after Nicholas was deposed, the Lord Jesus Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary visited Nicholas who was being held in a prison cell for his fist-fight with the heretic.

Our Lord Jesus Christ asked Saint Nicholas, "Why are you here?" Nicholas responded, "Because I love you, my Lord and my God."
    Whole story is here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I think if St Nick could see what Christmas has been turned into, he might have a few more slaps to give.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I think if St Nick could see what Christmas has been turned into, he might have a few more slaps to give.
    I wonder how he would feel about being transmorphed in to a Jolly Old Fat Man who soars around the sky on a sleigh powered by flying reindeer (one with a beacon for a nose), breaking in to houses at night to leave presents and dine on cookies and milk (my girls leave egg nog).
    Last edited by FlaGator; 12-26-2012 at 04:59 PM.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I wonder how he would feel about being transmorphed in to a Jolly Old Fat Man who soars around the sky on a sleigh powered by flying reindeer (one with a beckon for a nose), breaking in to houses at night to leave presents and dine on cookies and milk (my girls leave egg nog).
    And people will stamp on each other on black Friday to have presents to put under the tree. lol.