Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 I no longer use antidepressants. 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Rut-Roh!!!!

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 07:18 AM
    sibelian

I no longer use antidepressants.

I very much doubt I ever will again.

Wrestling with my dark feelings made them worse. I have come to the conclusion that, for me, I do not suffer from depression but benefit from seriousness. I do not have a sick mind, but a mind that wishes to take things seriously. (AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!)

I have benefitted enormously from allowing myself to accept emotional pain, sometimes long term, and let it sink into me and alter my personality, rather than wrangle with it in the hope that I can maintain a youthful outlook. I no longer want a youthful outlook. I want MY outlook, and I no longer believe that sadness is an illness, not even if it lasts for years.

In 2012 I learned to accept that the world around me can be dark and terrible but that does not mean that it is off-kilter, upset or out of balance at all and in fact is functioning perfectly normally.

The result of all this is that for the first time in years, particularly over the past few months, I have been able to accept an increasingly giving world, have stopped taking the love of my friends for granted and have been rewarded with acts of forgiveness and kindness (that in fact were always there but I had been ignoring them through a strong desire to influence them and bring them about myself), acts I had long since stopped paying any attention to because I had fallen into the habit of believing that feelings were inherently suspect.

I have thrown away the desire for happiness, and finally it has reappeared.

So, in a slightly counter-intuitive sense, the Mayans were right.

This DUmmie, like a lot of them, is totally delusional and the possible next mass killer.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Firstly, i'm not at all saying that this person is right for doing so, but another forum I visit had a few people sharing their experiences on anti-depressents, and the possible effects it had on people like the Sandyhook killer.

Seemingly they seriously mess with your head, and certain types of these drugs (that he may very well have been taking) have a history of triggering violence, suicide, and at least two other mass shootings have been committed by people on these drugs.

Maybe Feinstein should put her efforts to finding out if there is a connection here, instead of blaming guns.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Firstly, i'm not at all saying that this person is right for doing so, but another forum I visit had a few people sharing their experiences on anti-depressents, and the possible effects it had on people like the Sandyhook killer.

Seemingly they seriously mess with your head, and certain types of these drugs (that he may very well have been taking) have a history of triggering violence, suicide, and at least two other mass shootings have been committed by people on these drugs.

Maybe Feinstein should put her efforts to finding out if there is a connection here, instead of blaming guns.
    Anti depressants also save lives, marriages, relationships, and businesses. Clinical depression is serious stuff. It is painful to such a degree that it pervades nearly every aspect of the victim's life. Therapy can't correct clinical depression; medication can, and I will say usually, does.

The pity of it all is that anti depressants are being over prescribed. Seems like about every other category of medication is being over prescribed, too.

I took an anti-depressant from 1997 til 2005. It was, literally, a life changing experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Anti depressants also save lives, marriages, relationships, and businesses. Clinical depression is serious stuff. It is painful to such a degree that it pervades nearly every aspect of the victim's life. Therapy can't correct clinical depression; medication can, and I will say usually, does.

The pity of it all is that anti depressants are being over prescribed. Seems like about every other category of medication is being over prescribed, too.

I took an anti-depressant from 1997 til 2005. It was, literally, a life changing experience.
    And your 100% correct on that as well.

There is no simple answer to any of this. Unfortunately, when your talking about a nation of more then 300 million people, even the best system is going to end up with problems. It'll just be impossible to always catch the bad egg.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Yeah. Depressed, homicidal people will not go away, and they are not new.

In Bath, MI in 1872 a janitor set off a dynamite explosion at a school that killed 44 and injured 58.

In 1966, a shooter (sniper) at University of Texas killed 14 and wounded 32. One of his shots was 1500 feet. An autopsy revealed a tumor that would have killed the 25 year old shooter within a year. He was not aware of the tumor.

And I am sure there were mass murderers long before there was a press to report them. And no Facebook to "express" all these feelings of.....whatever.

I am sure that we, as humans, will continue to struggle. There will be undiagnosed madmen among us along with the clinically depressed who are easily treated. All we can do is watch out for ourselves and those we love.

Sometimes "watching out" means carrying a weapon, and at other times it means taking our medication.
    Last edited by Starbuck; 12-30-2012 at 02:11 PM.

I don't see how what this poster said was bad. I don't like it when you pick on those who may or may not have mental problems. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I don't see how what this poster said was bad. I don't like it when you pick on those who may or may not have mental problems. Just sayin.
    Combine this guy with an assault train and we will have trouble.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    His rant about anti-depressants seems to be ridiculing those who use them.

This statement in particular is off the mark and has nothing to do with removal of any medication:
    I have been able to accept an increasingly giving world, have stopped taking the love of my friends for granted and have been rewarded with acts of forgiveness and kindness (that in fact were always there but I had been ignoring them through a strong desire to influence them and bring them about myself), acts I had long since stopped paying any attention to because I had fallen into the habit of believing that feelings were inherently suspect.

As if those who use medication are unable to accept a giving world; take the love of their friends for granted; are not rewarded; and believe that feelings are suspect. Waaaaaay off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    His rant about anti-depressants seems to be ridiculing those who use them.

This statement in particular is off the mark and has nothing to do with removal of any medication:
    I have been able to accept an increasingly giving world, have stopped taking the love of my friends for granted and have been rewarded with acts of forgiveness and kindness (that in fact were always there but I had been ignoring them through a strong desire to influence them and bring them about myself), acts I had long since stopped paying any attention to because I had fallen into the habit of believing that feelings were inherently suspect.

As if those who use medication are unable to accept a giving world; take the love of their friends for granted; are not rewarded; and believe that feelings are suspect. Waaaaaay off the mark.
    I didn't really interpret what he said that way.

I lived almost all my life from my twenties on with chronic cluster headaches, a vascular condition. Believe me that cluster headaches are worse than migraines. Several doctors prescribed a variety of tranquilizers and mood alterating drugs to the point that I was close to becoming dysfunctional, and losing my job. I quit the drugs and relied on aspirin and nicotine to ease the pain.

About eight years after my retirement, I had a heart attack, and the cardiac surgeon put me on toprol, a drug that makes the arteries and veins more flexible and eases the strain on the heart. After a couple of months, the cluster headaches disappeared. I'm still on toprol, but no mind alterating drugs.

It was a case of suppressing the symptoms, with a Band-Aid approach, instead of diagnosing and treating the underlying cause.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA