Thread: One reason I left the North...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 One reason I left the North... 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Happy Winter Driving!!!!

May the FORCE be with you!

I hated living in South Carolina... the two winters I was there we'd get one big freeze and a bit of snow. I don't know what they teach in drivers ed there, but from what I saw, it must be "When road conditions are icy, make sure you speed up."

I grew up learning to drive in this stuff, doesn't phase me in the slightest. I was scared to death to drive during those periods because of everyone else on the road.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I grew up learning to drive in this stuff, doesn't phase me in the slightest.
    Same here. I was born in northwest Iowa, and grew up in Kansas City. I love snow, and Ice doen't scare me.
    http://allenbwest.com/
    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg
    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

My dad was always terrified of driving in snow. I guess that he passed his phobia to me. Although I'd absolutely love to return to St Louis, don't think I'd survive there anymore. I was embarassed when I was so cold that I was shivering and having problems when it got to the 60's here.

Of course, don't think it helped when involved in an accident (passenger) where the car went over the guard rail and down a steep embankment when on a black ice situation on the highway. I really don't miss the ice and snow, not even for a nannosecond.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    My dad was always terrified of driving in snow. I guess that he passed his phobia to me. Although I'd absolutely love to return to St Louis, don't think I'd survive there anymore. I was embarassed when I was so cold that I was shivering and having problems when it got to the 60's here.

Of course, don't think it helped when involved in an accident (passenger) where the car went over the guard rail and down a steep embankment when on a black ice situation on the highway. I really don't miss the ice and snow, not even for a nannosecond.
    My best friend tried to kill me once in a situation like that, steep hill, icy road, lost control and bounced off the guard rail a couple of times. Luckily the rail didn't break, cause it was a steep drop into a lot of trees. It's funny how time really does seem to slow down in situations like that. I swear he managed to yell "FUCK" 30 times in the few seconds it was going on.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

On the rare occasion that we get snow/ice here in central Texas, I refuse to go anywhere. People around here don't know the first thing about driving in those conditions which makes them exceptionally dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Tecate View Post
    On the rare occasion that we get snow/ice here in central Texas, I refuse to go anywhere. People around here don't know the first about driving in those conditions which makes them exceptionally dangerous.
    Scariest ice time was in Seattle. I was there on a vacation and visiting friends. I made the mistake of driving to their house in my rental car and parking it in their driveway while we went out to dinner. The roads were so terrible that my friends dropped me off at my motel. The people in Seattle absolutely don't know how to drive in hazardous weather. That, combined with the steep hills and their refusal to put salt down for traction. It was a mess.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Fabulous Poster
    As we drove to Florida in March, my mother noted the last sign which reads "warning, bridge ices ..."

And soon we are headed for a desert where it snows now and then. We're crazy.

That was too funny, I may steal this and put it on my facebook page...

Oh yeah, I've done the 360 spin down a hill before. Good stuff.
    Be Not Afraid.