Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Barney Begs to Be Senator Frank 
    8:04 AM, Jan 4, 2013 • By DANIEL HALPER

Barney Frank admitted this morning on MSNBC that he has asked Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick to pick him to replace John Kerry in the Senate:
    "I’ve told the governor I would now like, frankly, to" be the senator, said Frank.

Frank suggested he wants the seat so that he can fight for an increased debt ceiling in the Senate. He had previously said he had no interest in filling the position, but said the next few months will be "important."

The appointment would only be temporary. And he'd step down after a special election to replace Kerry, who has been nominated to be the next secretary of state. Frank says he won't run for the seat.

The special election to fill the Senate seat the old fashioned way will likely be held in several months.

Patrick has not indicated who he'll pick to fill the seat.
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...nk_693678.html
    Oh great, now Frank is on his hands and knees again.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    May the FORCE be with you!

OKaaaayy.

One more reason not to confirm John Kerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    8:04 AM, Jan 4, 2013 ē By DANIEL HALPER

Barney Frank admitted this morning on MSNBC that he has asked Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick to pick him to replace John Kerry in the Senate:
    "Iíve told the governor I would now like, frankly, to" be the senator, said Frank.

Frank suggested he wants the seat so that he can fight for an increased debt ceiling in the Senate. He had previously said he had no interest in filling the position, but said the next few months will be "important."

The appointment would only be temporary. And he'd step down after a special election to replace Kerry, who has been nominated to be the next secretary of state. Frank says he won't run for the seat.

The special election to fill the Senate seat the old fashioned way will likely be held in several months.

Patrick has not indicated who he'll pick to fill the seat.
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...nk_693678.html
    Oh great, now Frank is on his hands and knees again.
    And, he gets a bump in pension as a senator, even after a partial term.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I hope this position is filled by another.
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

True.
    But I think too much is made of this retirement for congressmen. And myths abound. There is this truth:
    According to the Congressional Research Service, 413 retired Members of Congress were receiving federal pensions based fully or in part on their congressional service as of Oct. 1, 2006. Of this number, 290 had retired under CSRS and were receiving an average annual pension of $60,972. A total of 123 Members had retired with service under both CSRS and FERS or with service under FERS only. Their average annual pension was $35,952 in 2006.
    So it's not all THAT excessive. My pension is better than most of them.

So how would 72 year old B Frank benefit? Like this:
    Pension Benefits Under CSRS. The accrual rate for each year of
    congressional service covered by CSRS is 2.5%. Therefore, the CSRS pension
    equals:
    High-3 Years of CSRS
    Salary X Service X .025 = Pension
    Frank has 32 years of service ( I really hate to call it that, but....) so that'll change the formula, but also Senators make more than congressmen, so his pension will increase accordingly.
    Frank's net worth is shown as about a million, which is no big deal when you look at the whole picture. Probably, the added pension would be nice for him.

As I said, I don't think it's much of a big deal financially. I can't even begin to count the number of emails I have received promoting the myth that legislators get a full salary retirement after only one year, and that they don't pay social security (they do, since 1985 or so), and on and on......

But Barney is such a patriot, surely he wouldn't be thinking about something so trivial as an increased pension, would he? Hope he doesn't get it for selfish reasons, so don't have to endure hearing him as much on the media outlets.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Patrick could always appoint Martha Coaxley to the position. She and Frank are the only prominent dems in MA I can think of whose last or middle name isn't Kennedy.

I'm sure there is someone in the Kennedy clan who wants the appointment. Maybe the one with the Ambien driving problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    True.
    But I think too much is made of this retirement for congressmen. And myths abound. There is this truth:

So it's not all THAT excessive. My pension is better than most of them.

So how would 72 year old B Frank benefit? Like this:

Frank has 32 years of service ( I really hate to call it that, but....) so that'll change the formula, but also Senators make more than congressmen, so his pension will increase accordingly.
    Frank's net worth is shown as about a million, which is no big deal when you look at the whole picture. Probably, the added pension would be nice for him.

As I said, I don't think it's much of a big deal financially. I can't even begin to count the number of emails I have received promoting the myth that legislators get a full salary retirement after only one year, and that they don't pay social security (they do, since 1985 or so), and on and on......
    True, it was mostly a snarky comment, but even so, I suspect that once ensconced in the position, Frank would feel the need to run for the seat. Power is hard to let go of, and Frank enjoyed using his power more than most. He was notorious for throwing fits when he felt that he wasn't being treated with the deference due his position, and being out of power can't have been easy for him.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    But Barney is such a patriot, surely he wouldn't be thinking about something so trivial as an increased pension, would he? Hope he doesn't get it for selfish reasons, so don't have to endure hearing him as much on the media outlets.
    The one good thing about having him on camera is that he's such a noxious toad that he cannot help but become the poster child for Democratic arrogance and leftist ideology. It also doesn't hurt that he was one of the major architects of the financial collapse, through his support for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Anyone that Patrick appoints is going to be a Massachusetts liberal Democrat, but we're better off with one who will use the spotlight to embarass himself and his party, rather than someone who might actually be an effective player.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Doesn't the governor have a cat or maybe a gerbil, that would be a better choice for the seat. Now a gerbil, that would be poetic justice.