1. #1 The Paulson Plan Will Make Money For Taxpayers 
    Wall Street Journal
    By ANDY KESSLER

My analysis suggests that Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson (a former investment banker, no less, not a trader) may pull off the mother of all trades, which could net a trillion dollars and maybe as much as $2.2 trillion -- yes, with a "t" -- for the United States Treasury.

Taxpayers will get their money back on AIG. My models suggest that Fannie and Freddie, on the other hand, are a gold mine. For $2 billion in cash up front and some $200 billion in loan guarantees so far, the U.S. government now controls $5.4 trillion in mortgages and mortgage guarantees.

You can slice the numbers a lot of different ways. My calculations, which assume 50% impairment on subprime loans, suggest it is possible, all in, for this portfolio to generate between $1 trillion and $2.2 trillion -- the greatest trade ever. Every hedge-fund manager will be jealous. Mr. Buffett is buying a small piece of the trade via his Goldman Sachs investment.

Over 10 years this could change the budget scenario in D.C., which can also strengthen the dollar. The next president gets a heck of a windfall.

<portions snipped>
    Link

Thank you Mr. President for bailing us out of another mess created by Democrats.

You're not really suggesting that is a good thing, are you? Even if the government did net some money out of all this, what is their track record of just calmly giving it back to the taxpayers?

Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    You're not really suggesting that is a good thing, are you? Even if the government did net some money out of all this, what is their track record of just calmly giving it back to the taxpayers?
    Keep the economy afloat & Make a few bucks in the process. Not your normal government doing is it. Provided it holds true.

I will say when I read that the treasury piced kup an 80% stake in a trillion dollar plus assest for 50 billion I thought someone got one hell of a deal. I bet AIG makes every effort to repay that 50 billion.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    You're not really suggesting that is a good thing, are you?
    It's a good thing if we make money on it. It's not a good thing that we're in this situation.

I'm just giving a hat tip to GW for having to straighten another Dem mess. If, god fobid, Hussein should get in there, I don't want him taking credit for money GW made.