Thread: Flu infections sweep America hospitalizing thousands

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Flu infections sweep America hospitalizing thousands 
    Flu infections sweep America hospitalizing thousands and leaving 18 children dead of complications, and it's going to get worse

2,257 people have been hospitalized since the start of flu season
    Three-fourths of those with symptoms say the were not vaccinated
    41 states have reported cases

By Daily Mail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 11:59 EST, 5 January 2013 | UPDATED: 13:19 EST, 5 January 2013

The U.S. has been hit with a particularly aggressive early flu season this year with widespread reports of the illness across the country, hospitalizing 2,257 people and leaving 18 children dead before the end of 2012.

And health officials say the numbers haven't even peaked yet.

'I think we're still accelerating,' Tom Skinner, a Center for Disease Control and Prevention spokesman, told reporters.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2HDEgvTvq
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    I was in line at the Post Office on Friday and there were two people waiting on customers. The postmaster was actually operating a window, and was tied up by some woman from New England who wanted to play down homer with him (since he apparently had an accent as well). The other clerk was fanning herself with the stamps she was selling to the woman ahead of me. Thank God I picked up on the fact that there was no excuse for that woman to be all hot and greasy and kept my distance. I heard her tell the person after me "Oh I was sick as a dog and I think it's coming back."

"Great, just great..." I thought to myself. I shouldn't have thought it to myself. I should have gone to the Postmaster and complained that there was a contagious employee working with the public.

This bullshit of people working when they are sick, either as part of the Protestant Work Ethic, because they used up all of their paid sick leave for waterskiing, or because they get awards for attendance needs to stop. The one thing I am aware of that the Church of Scientology promotes is the social (and they would have it civil) responsibility to stay away from healthy people when you are contagious.

Good info. There are some weird viruses going around, too. I was laid up most of last week. The doc said it wasn't the flu. We both got our flu shot in September.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Last I heard they are blaming the drought and lack of moisture in the air for everyone getting sick.

Sad to hear that children are dying from the flu, how tragic for the families.

Power CUer
    I got a flu shot this year for the first time in decades. I assume I will get the flu for the first time in decades.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

On one of the local news shows out of Tampa someone was saying that there apparently is a northern and a southern formulation for the flu shot. They claimed that we're getting sick from the snowbirds. It could have been total BS, but it's an interesting concept. Volunteering at Mote Marine, there are visitors from all over the world there, lots of Germans, Brits, Canadians and droves of Yankees coming for the sun.

Maybe I picked up my recent bug from one of them.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Thankfully no flu...cause I am allergic to the damned shot. My hubby gets it to help keep me well.

I DID end up with a nasty case of bronchitis tho.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    —Benjamin Franklin
    Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Power CUer
    SouthernLady: I was allergic to the thimerisol in the flu shot, and was able to find it without the thimerisol additive. Is that your allergy as well?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    SouthernLady: I was allergic to the thimerisol in the flu shot, and was able to find it without the thimerisol additive. Is that your allergy as well?
    Nope, I am allergic to egg yolks and that one is still in the experimental phase not generally available. IF they ever get it perfected, I'll worry about them then.

Liz
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    —Benjamin Franklin
    Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

So far, so good, around here. My sister and her family had the flu pretty bad right before the holidays. I didn't catch it from them when I visited, and I usually do catch the out of town flu. I can resist the things I'm around daily fairly well.

I don't get flu shots. I have pretty good resistance and recovery from that kind of thing. I also stay home if I do get sick.