Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Cuomo Declares Public Health Emergency As Flu Epidemic Persists 
    NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo declared a public health emergency Saturday, as the flu epidemic rocked the nation and hospitals and urgent care centers saw huge crowds.

The declaration allows pharmacists to administer flu shots to anyone between the ages of 6 months and 18 years.

• FLU RESOURCE GUIDE FOR THE TRI-STATE AREA

While the public health emergency may sound scary, Dr. Mary O’Brien at Columbia University said it is no reason to panic.

“The majority of us get the flu, we feel miserable for a week and then we get better,” she said.

O’Brien told WCBS 880’s Jim Smith the main aspect of Cuomo’s order opens up availability for children to get vaccinated.

She added that the governor’s declaration will also raise awareness, and some more people will get the flu shot.

“It’s a very safe shot. It’s an inactive shot,” she said. “It’s not a live vaccine, so it has very few side effects.” Read More>http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...flu-emergency/

Enough is enough, Bloomberg and Cuomo need to decree an end to this flu nonsense, it is hurting people!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

2. #12 most flu-infected neighborhood, Web app shows 
    Hell's Kitchen is the city's most flu-infected neighborhood, Web app shows

By KEVIN FASICK, FRANK ROSARIO and NATALIE O’NEILL
    Last Updated: 10:02 AM, January 12, 2013
    Posted: 12:56 AM, January 12, 2013

Hell’s Kitchen is burning up — with the flu.

The neighborhood is the city’s most infected area — closely followed by the Upper West Side, Carroll Gardens and Elmhurst, Queens, according to a formula created by two upstate professors.

The complex, Twitter-based algorithm maps out areas of New York City that are hardest-hit with virus — and then color-codes the outbreaks in green, yellow and red.

The Germ Tracker Web app pinpoints key words on the social-networking site — like “headache” and “sick” — to flag high-risk areas in the city. The data are available on smartphones and computers.

“It’s amazing. It gives you the opportunity to change your behavior to stay healthy,” said Adam Sadilek, one of the computer scientists who created the system at the University of Rochester.

GERM TRACKER: SEE WHICH NEIGHBORHOODS ARE MOST AFFECTED BY THE FLU

FLU VACCINE ONLY EFFECTIVE IN 62 PERCENT OF CASES: CDC

As of 5 p.m. yesterday, Hell’s Kitchen, the Upper West Side and East Harlem experienced the most “flu-like” symptoms in Manhattan.

Other “high-risk” neighborhoods included Elmhurst, Carroll Gardens and the East Village.

Hell’s Kitchen residents said they have been wading through a sea of sniffles and coughs for days.

“People around here look sick — they’re afraid,” said Andrew Hamill, a 30-year-old business consultant who lives in the neighborhood. Read More>http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/f...k523G0ifN7yY4M

FLU VACCINE ONLY EFFECTIVE IN 62 PERCENT OF CASES: CDC
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Thread kick.

I didn't read every post so I'm sure it's been mentioned: The flu showed up early and often and the vaccine could be in short supply. If you need the shot or have friends/family that do, I suggest not waiting.

Disclaimer: I may have played doctor at one time or another but I have zero qualifications with regards to being an actual doctor. ;)
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Thread kick.

I didn't read every post so I'm sure it's been mentioned: The flu showed up early and often and the vaccine could be in short supply. If you need the shot or have friends/family that do, I suggest not waiting.

Disclaimer: I may have played doctor at one time or another but I have zero qualifications with regards to being an actual doctor. ;)
    Didn't you once stay at a Holiday inn the same night that a doctor was staying there?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Didn't you once stay at a Holiday inn the same night that a doctor was staying there?
    No, he stayed in a room a doctor was in the week before.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

I used to be skepical of the flu shot for years. I heard the natural health professionals say it was posion, others say it made them sick, and others say they had a sore arm.

I've had the shot for the past four years, including one year a seperate shot for H1N1.

I enjoy the overtime at work when others come down with the flu and I am still healthy. Two yeas ago, a couple co-workers ended up with H1N1, young children and a school teacher were involved in how it started to spread. They looked like the walking dead.

Others say the flu shot is just a way for big PHARM (those evil corporations) to make money. I promise you one thing, more money is made, when you get sick, go to the doctor, and they write you an RX, especially if it's brand name Tamiflu that only works if you start taking it by day two of the the flu. Tamilflu has a high co payment under most insurance plans, when pharmacies run out of it, it has to be compounded (especially for children into liquid) then the insurance companies do not like to pay for it. It might take a day for it to get approved, unless you have the $400 to pay cash for it.

Immunizations are usually covered at a zero co pay under your plan. I think they are a good idea. I often have to take care of my mother, and I am no good to her, if I have the flu. Her health prevents her from getting the shot (she had Gullian Barre when she was in her 40's which made her temporarily paralyzed for a few weeks, at the time the doctors had no clue.)

I not only get the flu shot for myself, I get it for the benefit of those that I am around. I would like to think getting the flu shot is one less chance a person I come into contact with has the chance of getting sick.

I know some people do not like the shot, and that is the shot you must take in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I used to be skepical of the flu shot for years. I heard the natural health professionals say it was posion, others say it made them sick, and others say they had a sore arm.

I've had the shot for the past four years, including one year a seperate shot for H1N1.

I enjoy the overtime at work when others come down with the flu and I am still healthy. Two yeas ago, a couple co-workers ended up with H1N1, young children and a school teacher were involved in how it started to spread. They looked like the walking dead.

Others say the flu shot is just a way for big PHARM (those evil corporations) to make money. I promise you one thing, more money is made, when you get sick, go to the doctor, and they write you an RX, especially if it's brand name Tamiflu that only works if you start taking it by day two of the the flu. Tamilflu has a high co payment under most insurance plans, when pharmacies run out of it, it has to be compounded (especially for children into liquid) then the insurance companies do not like to pay for it. It might take a day for it to get approved, unless you have the $400 to pay cash for it.

Immunizations are usually covered at a zero co pay under your plan. I think they are a good idea. I often have to take care of my mother, and I am no good to her, if I have the flu. Her health prevents her from getting the shot (she had Gullian Barre when she was in her 40's which made her temporarily paralyzed for a few weeks, at the time the doctors had no clue.)

I not only get the flu shot for myself, I get it for the benefit of those that I am around. I would like to think getting the flu shot is one less chance a person I come into contact with has the chance of getting sick.

I know some people do not like the shot, and that is the shot you must take in the dark.
    Well said. A former coworker lived her life carelessly. I had an email from her today. She was wailing about how sick she was, going into all the gory details of how she was having the "problems" on both ends. I asked if she had the flu shot. Of course she just got it last week, too late to do much good. Somehow I wasn't surprised.

We both got the flu shot. SR so far has been fine. I was laid up almost a week, starting NY Eve, but the doc said I didn't have the flu, but a weird virus that was going around. But it wasn't as bad as the flu.

My theory is we must do what we can to protect ourselves and to care for those around us. Those flu shots weren't in short supply. There's not much of an excuse to not get one.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

I know two people that caught the new strain of flu, that did have the vaccination this year.

They did get sick, but it kept them out of the hospital, or much worse.

Both were older adults and both are very happy they had the flu shot.

One was in the Midwest and one was in Nevada.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    My theory is we must do what we can to protect ourselves and to care for those around us. Those flu shots weren't in short supply. There's not much of an excuse to not get one.
    I agree.

If you live in an area where the shot is scarce and metro Detroit is within a day's drive, our area is well-stocked and most Walgreen's and CVS stores have it for $15 or less.

If you live in Northern Ohio and they are low on their stocks, it could be worth a short drive.

I'm still sticking with my vitamin C and handwashing defense. So far, so good.