Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New York congressman introduces bill to abolish presidential term limits 
    Posted By Patrick Howley On 1:24 PM 01/06/2013 @ 1:24 PM In DC Exclusives - Original Reporting,Politics |
    New York Democratic Rep. Jose Serrano reintroduced a bill in Congress on Friday to repeal the 22nd Amendment, which places term limits on the U.S. presidency.

The bill, which has been referred to committee, would allow Barack President Obama to become the first president since Franklin Roosevelt to seek a third term in office.

H.J. Res. 15 proposes “an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.”

The bill is a reintroduction of H.J. Res. 17, which Serrano introduced in Congress in January 2011. It was referred to the House judiciary committee, but did not make it to a floor vote.

Repealing the 22nd Amendment has been a longtime goal of Serrano’s, regardless of the sitting president’s political party. Serrano proposed similar resolutions in 1997 and 1999, during Bill Clinton’s administration, and in 2001, 2003, 2005, and 2007, during George W. Bush’s administration. He proposed the repeal again in 2009 after Obama took office.

None of his proposals has ever made it to a floor vote.

Democratic Maryland Rep. Steny Hoyer also repeatedly proposed repealing the 22nd Amendment during both the Clinton and Bush administrations.
    Current Republican Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell sponsored a bill to repeal the amendment in 1995.

The 22nd Amendment was passed by Congress in 1947 and ratified by 41 states by 1951. The last president before Roosevelt to prepare for a campaign for a third term was Woodrow Wilson, who pulled out of the 1920 nominating race to avoid deadlocking the Democratic convention in San Francisco.
    Follow Patrick on Twitter

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com
    URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/06/ne...l-term-limits/

The story does not mention whether a crown and scepter are included.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

This rings just about as loudly as Charlie Rangel braying about bringing back the draft.
    U.S. Army, Retired

Power CUer
    He's done this at the beginning of every Congress since 1997. What a goofball. It never goes anywhere and never will.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    He's done this at the beginning of every Congress since 1997. What a goofball. It never goes anywhere and never will.

Did he do it in 2008?

I'm fine with the 2-term limit. I wonder,though, if it wasn't in place, if some Presidents in modern times would have been able to get re-elected a 3rd time. Reagan probably could have won a 3rd term. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 1994, after a third term would have been completed, but the disease would have probably begun to affect him before that. Clinton? The special prosecutors would have never gone away. Eisenhower? Maybe-people like my dad, who served in the military during his presidency, loved him. Could he have beaten JFK?

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Did he do it in 2008?

I'm fine with the 2-term limit. I wonder,though, if it wasn't in place, if some Presidents in modern times would have been able to get re-elected a 3rd time. Reagan probably could have won a 3rd term. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 1994, after a third term would have been completed, but the disease would have probably begun to affect him before that. Clinton? The special prosecutors would have never gone away. Eisenhower? Maybe-people like my dad, who served in the military during his presidency, loved him. Could he have beaten JFK?
    Reagan was tired the last year, you could see it, that coupled with Iran contra and I don't think he would have wanted to run.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Power CUer
    Did he do it in 2008?
    As I said, "at the beginning of each Congress", which automatically means odd numbered years.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    As I said, "at the beginning of each Congress", which automatically means odd numbered years.

I was thinking the election year. So I guess the right question would have been did he do it in 2007?

I was thinking the election year. So I guess the right question would have been did he do it in 2007?
    This article says "yes."

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/06/ne...l-term-limits/
    U.S. Army, Retired

This time he might get a different result. I'm sure the Dems would love to have Barack elected again. He's young enough, and they'd be able to shove down even more of their agenda. It's a very scary thought.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    This time he might get a different result. I'm sure the Dems would love to have Barack elected again. He's young enough, and they'd be able to shove down even more of their agenda. It's a very scary thought.
    Boehner may even vote for it.