Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    You just need a smaller noose.

At a minimum. I think that our whole concept of parole is flawed. We should require parole board members to share the remainder of a sentence of any perp that they release who repeats the offense. If you aren't sure enough to risk you own life and liberty, then you should be exoposing the rest of us to risk.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

A lot has to do with how things are presented to the parole board by the prison officials. We used to have a Youth Parole Board for juveniles, prior to around 1992 or so. It was ended due to some notorious cases, mostly sex offenders, who re-offended almost immediately after release by the YPRB.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I think that our whole concept of parole is flawed.
    Without hope of or process for parole, what incentive do convicts have to behave themselves. Prison is supposed to punish criminals, not subject them to torture. Allowing hopeless convicts to prey on other convicts is nothing less than the state practicing torture by proxy. Frankly, I can't believe that a courts hasn't already ordered the prisons to protect inmates and compensate those who have been harmed in custody.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    A lot has to do with how things are presented to the parole board by the prison officials. We used to have a Youth Parole Board for juveniles, prior to around 1992 or so. It was ended due to some notorious cases, mostly sex offenders, who re-offended almost immediately after release by the YPRB.
    We recently had a guy attack a 16 yo girl at her bus stop. He was in a re-entry facility run by Goodwill Industries. It made no sense, which leads one to believe that the court and corrections missed the fact that this person is an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I share that same concern with Nova, that people will start to classify pedophilia with homosexuality. There needs to be a clear difference in the way society treats consenting adults who are attracted to the same sex from how society treats someone who chooses victims who are either unable to resist or unable to give consent due to age or capacity. The sexual abuse of children always needs to be treated as a crime, the same way raping an adult victim at gunpoint is a crime. Homosexual relationships between consenting adults should not be criminally sanctioned.
    There is a train of thought that links all of these activities together under the heading of deviant behavior. At one point the majority of society considered homosexual behavior as aberrant but that societal view has changed. Who is to say that society doesn't change its view on pedophilia, incest and bestiality? If society does change its perspective does that mean that these activities are now acceptable? Why is incest bad today but OK tomorrow? Are right and wrong so easily transmutable now? If society decides what is right and what is wrong is there really such a thing as right and wrong or are they just fluid concepts that are determined by which way the wind is blowing?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    There is a train of thought that links all of these activities together under the heading of deviant behavior. At one point the majority of society considered homosexual behavior as aberrant but that societal view has changed. Who is to say that society doesn't change its view on pedophilia, incest and bestiality? If society does change its perspective does that mean that these activities are now acceptable? Why is incest bad today but OK tomorrow? Are right and wrong so easily transmutable now? If society decides what is right and what is wrong is there really such a thing as right and wrong or are they just fluid concepts that are determined by which way the wind is blowing?
    If a state legalizes right turn on red, what's to stop them from making it legal to run over old people in the crosswalk?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    If a state legalizes right turn on red, what's to stop them from making it legal to run over old people in the crosswalk?
    Nothing is to stop them

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

8. #38 Normalizing Pedophillia 
    Oh and before the hand wringers get too hysterical and start to claim we're all homophobic...the experts quoted in the original article trying to rationalize pedophillia as normal are the ones who made the link between it and gay marriage.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

I have a moral duty to correct the incorrect.
    Thank God. I don't know what I'd do if you weren't there to "correct" things.

Make up your mind: is it a slippery slope (ie relevant) or non sequitur (ie irrelevant) ?
    definition of "slippery slope" - a course of action that seems to lead inevitably from one action or result to another with unintended consequences.

definition of "non sequitur" - An inference or conclusion that does not follow from the premises or evidence.

Hmmm. I looked twice just to make sure. Nothing in either of those definitions about "relevant" or "irrelevant."

Nice try, but it's not going to work today.

How clever.
    I spend my life thinking of snarky little things. I figure the least I could do is entertain you with them.

And has no more to do with the acceptance of pedophilia, child molestation, or statutory rape than heterosexuality. In fact it has less, made witness by the case of Debra Lafave. Normally I don't argue in the hypothetical, but I don't think it's speculation that had she been male regardless of good looks and charming personality would still be in prison. You certainly wouldn't have geezers on bulletin boards wondering out loud , "Where were teacher like that when I was 14?"
    Hmmm. (A second "hmmm.") We have first hand evidence of the acceptance of pedophilia, according to those who are most inclined to give that opinion legitimacy -- at least to those of you who worship such things. Were you asleep when you read the OP? The shrinks in Canada can't figure out just how that happens, so they write "ACCEPT" into their bible, along with a nice little footnote that says "sexual orientation."

You know - that business of living creatures that helps one to procreate the species.

Oops. Sorry, I forgot. You don't do that.

Where in the article did it say that something being a "sexual orientation" meant that it got the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval?
    It doesn't. But it ain't far off. It didn't take you gays but 40 years to convince everybody your desire to have sex with a member of your own sex was something approximating "normal." I have to hand it to you -- you did a great job with that.

Are you under the mistaken impression that homosexuality is legal because it's a sexual orientation? Read the court's opinion. No where does it say that laws against homosexuality are unconstitutional because it's a sexual orientation.
    Nobody said anything about homosexuality being illegal. We're talking about pedophilia and how the shrinks in Canada think it's a sexual orientation (their word, not mine). Stay on topic.

That's a pretty important distinction and one which the laws of the various states generally take into account. Scientifically, it's a legitimate question why a sexually immature person is attractive to a sexually mature person. The stages older than sexual maturity are legally somewhat arbitrary lines which as the article states have and do indeed vary over time, culture, and location.
    You sound like a liberal with your worship of science. t's much more basic than that. It's a question of right versus wrong.

(I try to keep things simple.)

Again, you haven't demonstrated that. One of the favorite accusations against Mohammed was that he was a pedophile. In truth, he probably wasn't out of step with surrounding cultures. We don't hate Thailand, but the King of Siam had many wives. Were any of them what we would consider children? In the US we have had 12 year old brides, and in Mexico they apparently still do. We don't approve of this, but what precisely has it to do with gay rights or homosexuality? Homosexuality was a felony or a capital crime while all of this was going on.
    Damn, you do love to go off topic, don't you? Nobody said anything about Mohammed, or said anything about how many wives Yul Brynner had. I don't particularly care.

But while we're on the topic, the LDS founder and Big Prophet Guy, Joseph Smith, definitely liked 'em young too. So we Americans aren't immune from pedophilia.

Which is why I'm concerned. The Canadian shrinks have thrown up their hands and have surrendered. When and how long is it going to take for American shrinks to do the same?
    U.S. Army, Retired

10. #40 Normalizing Pedophillia 
    And right on cue...Nova's fellow travelers at the DUmp are discussing the same article...albeit with different and not so surprising opinions on the issue.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022194724

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.