Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Don't do that, it could make you snooty and aloof.

May the FORCE be with you!

I posted this over at CC and decided to bring it over here:

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 08:11 PM

Brigid (9,303 posts)

Obama reminds me of one of those few capable emperors in the waning decades of the Roman Empire who tried to halt the decline of the empire but in the end couldn't do it. Why is it I watch "House Hunters International" and fantasize?
    DUmbass Brigid is closer than she realises but not for the reason she thinks. Roman politicians devised a plan in 140 B.C. to win the votes of these new citizens: giving out cheap food and entertainment, "bread and circuses", would be the most effective way to rise to power. I believe the Obama administration, along with Hollywood, are doing the same thing. The governement is providing the "bread" with out of control entitlements and Hollywood the "circuses" with shows such as "Dancing With The Stars", "Honey Boo Boo" and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman satirist and poet Juvenal (circa 100 A.D.)
    Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses.
    I don't know about you but that sure sounds familiar these days in America (to me anyway).
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Don't do that, it could make you snooty and aloof.
    Mais non, I bring that to the table myself. That has nothing to do with Paris. Why do I suspect you have never been there? ;)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I could happily live in Paris for a few years, but that has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with Paris. :)
    Good on you that you could enjoy Paris. Paris, France , IMHO , Is one of if not the most overrated European cities. Sure it is full of History but what European city isn't.

Eupher, I did a bit shy of 5 yrs in Germany without a return to the States in that time and when I did I experienced culture shock for a period. You must have been lost.

I can see myself taking extended vacations abroad but as far as becoming an expatriate I don't see that in the cards but never say never.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Mais non, I bring that to the table myself. That has nothing to do with Paris. Why do I suspect you have never been there? ;)
    The self employed don't get many vacation days.

I'd prefer to stay here, but if I could send the DUmmies and their ilk abroad sans voting or return rights, I would happily do so.

LOL. Good response.

M. le Rock, comment voulez-vous répondre?
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    LOL. Good response.

M. le Rock, comment voulez-vous répondre?
    L'homme qui parle aux chevres..... (sorry, I know which accent marks should go in, I just don't know how to do it on my keyboard).
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I don't fault anyone for living abroad, or wanting to live abroad. That's part of the beauty of the United States: we don't have exit visas. You're free to leave any time you want, and then you're welcome to come back any time you want. I have one brother who has lived in Russia for about fifteen years now, and prior to that he lived in Kazakhstan, Lithuania, Latvia, and Australia, and he practically lives in the Ukraine today, since he spends four days out of every week there. I have another brother who has lived in the UK on two separate occasions, Bulgaria briefly, and Romania for a while, taking his family with him for the latter three. None of these moves to these places happened because of the great social welfare structure in these places. Indeed, my brother who has lived in the UK twice is a bigtime liberal and has been on and on about "universal health care" for decades, but when he was living in the UK and it was his daughter who needed a doctor, he sure as hell never went to the NHS, even though he was entitled to with his visa. No, he went and got a private doctor when she needed medical attention, not the socialized medicine, because he didn't want to wait in line and get substandard care.

Anyone who is moving to some other country just because their social welfare services are "better" is doing so for the sole purpose of being a lazy slug who doesn't want to pull their own weight, which is precisely why those countries make it all but impossible to move there unless you can prove that you're going to be a productive citizen.

I've traveled plenty, and there are truly wondrous places around the world. Paris is overrated, smelly, ludicrously expensive, and has a preponderance of snotty, snooty people, though there are plenty of perfectly friendly, gracious Parisians who are as pleasant and charming as anyone in polite Southern society. Still, I consider Paris the worst part of France, not the best; Normandy, the Calvados coast, the lovely Bordeaux region, Burgandy ... all much nicer than Paris, AFAIC. But, I would take Prague over Paris any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Indeed, I would take Prague over Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich, London, Edinburgh, Rome, Vienna, Venice, or Amsterdam. If I were just forced to live somewhere else, in addition to Prague, I would be pretty content living in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. Beautiful town. Just the right size. I could tolerate Innsbruck, though it's rather cold for my tastes, and I've never been a skier, so the mountains are somewhat wasted on me. And, I could be tempted to live in St. Petersburg, but it would take a LOT of tempting: beautiful city, VERY expensive, I like the 13% flat tax in Russia, but the bureaucracy is still pretty daunting, and it's colder than a witch's tit in an aluminum bra there eight months out of the year.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Power CUer
    I'm really looking forward to Prague - we're supposed to go there this fall. (Fingers crossed). I haven't been there yet but friends have told me great things about it. I like other parts of France, too - but Paris is special to me. I've had uniformly excellent times there.