Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Who's Whining Now? 

Gramm Slammed By Economists

'Nation of Whiners' Comments Criticized by Finance Experts in Light of Current Crisis

By MARCUS BARAM

Sept. 19, 2008—

Talk about words coming back to haunt you.

Phil Gramm, John McCain's former economic adviser, left the campaign in July when he tried to counter criticism of the Republican candidate's economic policies by asserting that the country "had become a nation of whiners" in a "mental recession."

Even McCain came forward to say that he disagreed with Gramm's remarks, adding that someone who'd lost their job "isn't suffering from a mental recession."

And Barack Obama is using Gramm's comments and his support of deregulation, which prompted some of the risky lending that caused the current financial crisis, in a new TV ad that questions McCain's ability to handle the economy.

"They think the economy's fundamentally strong," intones a voice-over in the ad. "We know they're fundamentally wrong."

Though Gramm, a former Texas senator, is no longer a member of McCain's close-knit team, he still seems to be assisting the campaign.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=5835269&page=1
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Banned
    Remember every poster here who called you a "Doom and Gloomer." Remember every poster here who said that there was no economic problem, it was only the liberal media. Remember every poster here who's said it's all the fault of Jimmah Carter, 28 years out of office. Remember every poster here who said that the housing crisis was local and prices in his/her area were up. Remember every poster here who said "I've got mine, what's wrong with you, asshole."

Remember, as this gets worse. And it will. Trust me, we are not at the bottom yet.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I don't even pretend to understand economics but both of y'all seem happy that things aren't going well. That's just not right.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

I don't read Marcus Baram.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Remember every poster here who called you a "Doom and Gloomer."
    You mean like this?

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Yea, but L.P. can point to that awful, awful, awful 5.5% unemployment figure. Wow, many EU countries would love to have that unemployment rate but not a doom and gloomer.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    You mean like this?
    '

And a lot more pretty much exactly like that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I don't even pretend to understand economics but both of y'all seem happy that things aren't going well. That's just not right.
    It's not a matter of being happy about it; it's more of a matter of having to deal with being called an idiot, a doom and gloomer, someone ignorant of equities and derivatives (very ironic since I've designed the process for OTC derivatives for one of the largest banks on Wall Street). Don't think I'm not going to rub the noses of every offender over and over again.

As far as the current situation, people can profit in all situations if they're smart enough. :D

Alright, you want to chastise those who down played the seriousness of this situation, fair enough. But what about those whose goal seems to be to make it appear as terrible as possible, for political reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    As far as the current situation, people can profit in all situations if they're smart enough. :D
    + 1.

Dear Shannon, if God didn't want them sheared - He wouldn't have made them sheep.

You of all people should be able to relate to that.;)

Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    Alright, you want to chastise those who down played the seriousness of this situation, fair enough. But what about those whose goal seems to be to make it appear as terrible as possible, for political reasons?
    Excellent point. Being a politician requires, among other things, for you to be an opportunistic scum-bag. ;)