Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 A psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality 
    A great article!

How often have you heard these statements from misguided advocates of victim disarmament, or even woefully uninformed relatives and neighbors? Why do people cling so tightly to these beliefs, in the face of incontrovertible evidence that they are wrong? Why do they get so furiously angry when gun owners point out that their arguments are factually and logically incorrect? How can you communicate with these people who seem to be out of touch with reality and rational thought? One approach to help you deal with anti-gun people is to understand their psychological processes. Once you understand why these people behave so irrationally, you can communicate more effectively with them.

Defense Mechanisms

Projection

About a year ago I received an e-mail from a member of a local Jewish organization. The author, who chose to remain anonymous, insisted that people have no right to carry firearms because he didn’t want to be murdered if one of his neighbors had a "bad day". (I don’t know that this person is a "he", but I’m assuming so for the sake of simplicity.) I responded by asking him why he thought his neighbors wanted to murder him, and, of course, got no response. The truth is that he’s statistically more likely to be murdered by a neighbor who doesn’t legally carry a firearm(1) and more likely to be shot accidentally by a law enforcement officer.(2)

How does my correspondent "know" that his neighbors would murder him if they had guns? He doesn’t. What he was really saying was that if he had a gun, he might murder his neighbors if he had a bad day, or if they took his parking space, or played their stereos too loud. This is an example of what mental health professionals call projection – unconsciously projecting one’s own unacceptable feelings onto other people, so that one doesn’t have to own them.(3) In some cases, the intolerable feelings are projected not onto a person, but onto an inanimate object, such as a gun,(4) so that the projector believes the gun itself will murder him.
    Read more:

http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/ragingag...elfdefense.htm

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

In the interests of fairness, the psychiatrist should also get to evaluate Alex Jones, Ted Nugent and Glenn Beck.

Jones is delusional, bordering on schizophrenia, paranoid type.

Nugent is histrionic personality disorder.

Glenn Beck probably is sane, because I think his theatrics are a calculated act to make him rich.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    In the interests of fairness, the psychiatrist should also get to evaluate Alex Jones, Ted Nugent and Glenn Beck.

Why? This is an article about anti-gun fools. Not about law abiding people who have paid for thier license, training and guns and ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Why? This is an article about anti-gun fools. Not about law abiding people who have paid for thier license, training and guns and ammo.

Do you have any evidence that those who support some type of limitations on firearms are not law-abiding?

Come on, Alex Jones is insane, whatever his opinion on gun rights may be. Have you looked at his website? I know two words that can probably set off a full-scale meltdown for him: Bohemian Grove.

Nugent-he's dumb and he has a big mouth. My favorite example is when he was a radio host on a Detroit talk station, in the late 90s or maybe early 00s. He received a letter from an incarcerated woman named Alberta Easter. She had once worked as a secretary at Motown or some other music company in Detroit, and had met him at one point in that capacity, so she wrote a letter to Nugent about how she was innocent and railroaded by the corrupt courts. Before checking his facts, Nuge went off on air about how innocent people were being railroaded by the courts, like this lady who wrote to him .

Alberta Easter and her adult sons were holed up in a motel on Michigan AVE in Inkster in 1987. The Inkster police came to arrest them on bad check charges. Ms. Easter and her sons opened fire on the 3 cops, and killed them. They pulled the bodies into their room and pretended to be holding the cops hostage, resulting in a standoff for some time. The Nuge is a stooge.

The pro-gun side can find much better spokesmen than these idiots/lunatics.

Do you have any evidence that those who support some type of limitations on firearms are not law-abiding?

Come on, Alex Jones is insane, whatever his opinion on gun rights may be. Have you looked at his website? I know two words that can probably set off a full-scale meltdown for him: Bohemian Grove.

Nugent-he's dumb and he has a big mouth. My favorite example is when he was a radio host on a Detroit talk station, in the late 90s or maybe early 00s. He received a letter from an incarcerated woman named Alberta Easter. She had once worked as a secretary at Motown or some other music company in Detroit, and had met him at one point in that capacity, so she wrote a letter to Nugent about how she was innocent and railroaded by the corrupt courts. Before checking his facts, Nuge went off on air about how innocent people were being railroaded by the courts, like this lady who wrote to him .

Alberta Easter and her adult sons were holed up in a motel on Michigan AVE in Inkster in 1987. The Inkster police came to arrest them on bad check charges. Ms. Easter and her sons opened fire on the 3 cops, and killed them. They pulled the bodies into their room and pretended to be holding the cops hostage, resulting in a standoff for some time. The Nuge is a stooge.

Headache producing screed, thank you. This article is about the mind sets of anti gun fools! Stop repeating yourself with " what about these 3 guys", it makes you sound DUmmy.

Start you own thread about gun lovers!

Sorry, Patriot45 -- I gotta jump in on this.

Ted Nugent? The guitar picker, right?

Yeah, he's so stupid he's worth about $20 million. As a business guy, I'd say he's got his ducks in a row.

And he's gonna shoot the damn things for supper.

In all seriousness, any public personality is going to screw the pooch from time to time. Like Al Sharpton, for example.

Oops. Al screws that pooch again and again and again and again......
    U.S. Army, Retired

Noonie, how many times has your knee found your ass? {translation: Knee-jerk}

Humans make mistakes...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Oh I don't know, how about wanting to deny a law abiding citizen of our country their 2nd amendment rights?

lets look at this second amendment shall we?

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

when the founding docs were written, every citizen was thought to be the militia, with some social limits such as women. even with those limits many, many women stood when the need arose. Anyhow, as you probably already know Jefferson as well as many other founders thru various correspondence stated very clearly that the 2nd was soley for a right of the people to depose a tyrannical government, not hunting or sport shooting. At that time the militia supplied their own weapons. Which seems to me that many had state of the art fire arms (for the time period).

To me this is saying that a vigilant citizenry, is needed to ensure the security and freedom of their states. and to achieve this the citizens are allowed to keep weapons in order to depose a tyrannical government, of course I would add after all other remedies were exhausted.

Look at the words.the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. Could you please tell us your interpretation of these words?

I submit that o will have committed an impeachable offense if he should decree a weapons ban by executive order.
    Onward Thru the Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo55 View Post
    I submit that o will have committed an impeachable offense if he should decree a weapons ban by executive order.
    I submit that he has already committed at least two that he will be never be held to account for. Maybe three's a charm?
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.

~John Adams

Jones is delusional, bordering on schizophrenia, paranoid type.

Nugent is histrionic personality disorder.

Glenn Beck probably is sane, because I think his theatrics are a calculated act to make him rich.
    And yet, not a one of them has shot another person. Nor do they demand for themselves the protection of armed men while working frantically to deny that right to "the masses." Whatever they are, they are not lying, cheating hypocrites.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.