Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 More And More Of America's PhDs Are On Welfare 

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:36 AM

FarCenter (11,872 posts)

More And More Of America's PhDs Are On Welfare

The Great Recession and the very slow pace of subsequent recovery has sky-rocketed unemployment, as well as people on welfare and food stamps. A record high of 15 percent, or 46.37 million Americans, were on food stamps in June last year — that's almost one in every seven Americans. That number is not expected to come down much without a significant improvement in the unemployment picture.
    Even worse, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education:

The number of people with graduate degrees — master's degrees and doctorates — who have had to apply for food stamps, unemployment or other assistance more than tripled between 2007 and 2010. Of the 22 million Americans with master's degrees or higher in 2010, about 360,000 were receiving some kind of public assistance, according to the latest Current Population Survey released by the U.S. Census Bureau in March 2011.

http://www.businessinsider.com/infog...-stamps-2013-1

Welfare or post-doc -- pretty similar.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022167304

Then maybe they should be plumbers!
    "Asakatsu Magatsu"

True victory is victory over oneself.

~ Morihei Ueshiba O-Sensei ~

Quote Originally Posted by Jim54 View Post

Good point. But then, God forbid, they'd have to get their hands dirty......

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quick!!! Have Lord Obama provide them with Grift Cards to Publix...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Well, perhaps if their PHD wasn't in 15th Century Polish Existentialism they'd have an easier time using it. However, I'd be willing to bet having a PHD in business they'd be doing well.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

HughBeaumont (19,799 posts)

9. Siiiiiiigh. So I guess "working harder" is no longer enough; you now have to be a fortune teller.

Shouldn't people be able to make a living at what they want to do? How does this square with the laws of diminishing returns?
    Ug. Facepalm.

Actually, didn't Pelosi recently say that now that no one will have to pay for health insurance you are free to go and write shitty poetry and make piss art so you can do what you want to do and not have to worry about certain expenses.

Imagine if we all did only what we wanted to do for a living. I know professional baseball would be filled with a boatload of crappy pitchers. I'd be one of them.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Quick!!! Have Lord Obama provide them with Grift Cards to Publix...
    Hit. The. Nail.
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

I guess more and more people are getting PHD's in Basket Weaving and Art History. Figures.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Well, perhaps if their PHD wasn't in 15th Century Polish Existentialism they'd have an easier time using it. However, I'd be willing to bet having a PHD in business they'd be doing well.

You're right-there are useless PhD degrees and useful ones. A PhD in Engineering is pretty useful, as is a PhD in Psychology (court evaluations can be lucrative once one has enough experience to be an independent contractor).

The real story of the article is that the kind of welfare that PhDs are on has changed from subsidies and grants filtered through the education bureaucracy to direct payments through a social service agency. After decades of basically paying them to study fields in which nobody but them and a few like-minded navel gazers have an interest, and which have no practical applications, delaying the onset of adult responsibilities into what we used to consider middle age, we now make a distinction between the paid perpetuation of their academic fantasies and the welfare payments that we give them when those fantasies prove to have provided no marketable job skills. The British riots that occurred a couple of years ago when the tuition at public colleges was slightly raised were incomprehensible as a protest against alleged government indifference to education, but if you look at them as welfare recipients rioting over getting a benefit cut, it makes much more sense. The PhDs in the article are not suddenly on welfare, they're simply changing how they get it and what they call it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim54 View Post

Would you trust a PhD in Womyn's Studies to unclog a toilet?

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    You're right-there are useless PhD degrees and useful ones. A PhD in Engineering is pretty useful, as is a PhD in Psychology (court evaluations can be lucrative once one has enough experience to be an independent contractor).
    Why would a school offer a PhD in Medievel Basket Weaving or some other useless field of pseudo-knowledge if they weren't receiving a ton of money to do so?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

10. #10 Heh heh... 
    "Would you trust a PhD in Womyn's Studies to unclog a toilet?"

Touche!
    "Asakatsu Magatsu"

True victory is victory over oneself.

~ Morihei Ueshiba O-Sensei ~