1. #1 Section 8 Housing voucher distribution canceled after thousands waiting in line... 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Link

TAYLOR, Mich. (WXYZ) - A chaotic scene erupted at the Taylor Human Services Center when the crowd waiting for a Section 8 Housing voucher distribution got out of control.

The center is located at Eureka and Lange Roads. That's between on Eureka, between Beech Daly and Inkster.

Police say thousands of people from all over the area were at the center. Many were homeless, single moms, or disabled. They were hoping to get help paying for their housing from the government.

7 Action News is being told there were 1,000 vouchers available and 5,000 people showed up trying to get one.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Fabulous Poster
    ""There was a lady with an oxygen tank. She was elderly. When they told everybody they had to go home and they weren't going to help, she was in tears," said Rodriguez.

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/wayne_county/section-8-housing-voucher-distribution-canceled-after-thousands-waiting-in-line-get-out-of-control#ixzz2HmpRX1vw"

I realize that this is supposed to make me feel the gravity of the situation, and it does. I feel very fortunate that my mother is financially independent and that I am able to give her my time and assistance. I live next to St Petersburg and while there are many people who live the postcard life of condos, swimming pools, tennis courts and early bird specials, there are many people over on Fourth Street living in residential motels and hotels who can barely manage. Others live on the street at least part time.

Basic social security is $768/mo is it not? A residential motel is one of the cheapest ways to live (as all utilities are included) and they run a minimum of $600/mo. So that person would have about $5 a day to live on.

We have (decent) senior housing here starting at $440/mo (plus $48 water about $80 power $30 phone) but you have to qualify at something like $1200/mo income.

Homeless old women are heartbreaking. We can blame it on bad choices, but there is a point at which one is too old to correct mistakes.