1. #1 Another Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure 
    I came across this awesome website that puts buyers and sellers together for vintage, antique, and used items. I've already found a few things I like. You have to register(free) to add items to your cart.

My mother received this dinnerware set as a gift for her wedding in the 1960's. She gave it to me about 10 years ago and I use it for Christmas every year. It's Bavaria fine China from Germany. I have this set for 12 people, but not the cups, saucers, coffee pot and one of the vegetable servers. I came across the exact set but for 6 people for $90. IT included all the serving pieces as well. I think it's a steal and I should buy it and add to my collection.

I have this weird obsession with Hurricane style lamps. I used one in my first condo that I found at an estate sale in Suffolk County Long Island when I was about 15 years old. For some stupid reason, I left it behind when I sold my condo and I have been wanting one ever since. I found this one. It's almost EXACTLY like the one I bought 30 years ago. I'm buying it.

I have a similar set that my mom also gave me that sits in my curio. I want to buy this one, made in Venice, probably in the 1940's-60's. It's a cordial set. I make my own Limoncello and I think this would be perfect to serve it in. Plus, my kitchen is blue/white, so it would match.

Sorry for the small pics, but I had to save from thumbnail due to the copy write restriction of the site.

Here is the website for any of you who appreciate vintage items.
    http://www.rubylane.com/

BTW, the china set is very difficult to see, but it is a white bone china with 24k painted rim and a sole rose on side of the plate. Not good for the dishwasher, but since I only use it once a year, I don't mind hand washing.

Whoa! Suffolk County LI!! I lived in Central Islip for 30 years! Small world.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Whoa! Suffolk County LI!! I lived in Central Islip for 30 years! Small world.
    We had a vacation house in Mastic, near Smith Point Beach.

Ruby Lane is cool-they usually have Josef originals, which are figurines I collect. My grandma gave me some of the "little internationals" back when they were making them in Japan. The company got sold and moved to Korea, and any figurines produced after around 1978 or so are just not as pretty or of as good of quality as the ones made in Japan and California.

The figurines are not really worth much, they're not like Hummels or anything, but I like them.

Hawkgirl, I'm afraid to go to that site. I'll find too much stuff.

Historic Spanish Point (formerly known as Old Spanish Point) is a cool place in Osprey, Fl, a bit south of us. We joined it last year, and the membership has been greyt. With the level of membership we got, we get free admission to most museums in the US, including the Dali Museum in St Pete and the Ford and Edison estate near Ft Meyers. It's a 30 acre area on the Sarasota Bay that was a settlement from the late 1800's. They have people dressed up as the original settlers and the grounds are beautiful.

What does that have to do with the subject at hand? They are having a Trash and Treasures sale, with stuff donated by members to benefit the museum. I dragged SR with me yesterday to the Member's only pre-sale. I got some of the coolest stuff. One thing I got was this silvery large (over 2 foot tall) wire basket in shape of a fish. I got the bright idea to hang it on the wall next to my kitchen window. I have to say it looks like a piece of art and was only $3. If I need to use it for a large breadbasket, will just take it down from the wall.

I also got a long, narrow print of fish from some gallery in Ontario, Canada. It perfectly fits a spot next to our bed. Will try to take pics later and post them.

We're heading back today with some friends. There probably will be nothing much left, but members keep bringing stuff to sell. Hopefully I'll find more cute stuff. Oh, yeah, I found some darling Christmas ornaments. I got 3 cute ones for a quarter. Can't beat that. And the one that was made specifically for Old Spanish Point was selling for $21.95 in the gift shop. Someone donated 2 of them. I got one for $4. Glad that I didn't get the one in the gift shop on their 20% off for members day.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Not sure why, but lately, I've been appreciating the older stuff...it's probably just a sense of nostalgia, and the days of simplicity.