Thread: Exclusive: Secret State Department cable: Chemical weapons used in Syria

1. #1 Exclusive: Secret State Department cable: Chemical weapons used in Syria 

Chemical weapon known as Agent 15 was suspected to have been used in the attack on Homs

A secret State Department cable has concluded that the Syrian military likely used chemical weapons against its own people in a deadly attack last month, The Cable has learned.

United States diplomats in Turkey conducted a previously undisclosed, intensive investigation into claims that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad used chemical weapons, and made what an Obama administration official who reviewed the cable called a "compelling case" that Assad's military forces had used a deadly form of poison gas.

The cable, signed by the U.S. consul general in Istanbul, Scott Frederic Kilner, and sent to State Department headquarters in Washington last week, outlined the results of the consulate's investigation into reports from inside Syria that chemical weapons had been used in the city of Homs on Dec. 23.

The consul general's report followed a series of interviews with activists, doctors, and defectors, in what the administration official said was one of the most comprehensive efforts the U.S. government has made to investigate claims by internal Syrian sources. The investigation included a meeting between the consulate staff and Mustafa al-Sheikh, a high-level defector who once was a major general in Assad's army and key official in the Syrian military's WMD program.

An Obama administration official who reviewed the document, which was classified at the "secret" level, detailed its contents to The Cable. "We can't definitely say 100 percent, but Syrian contacts made a compelling case that Agent 15 was used in Homs on Dec. 23," the official said.

The use of chemical weapons by the Assad regime would cross the "red line" President Barack Obama first established in an Aug. 20 statement. "We have been very clear to the Assad regime, but also to other players on the ground, that a red line for us is we start seeing a whole bunch of chemical weapons moving around or being utilized. That would change my calculus. That would change my equation," Obama said.

To date, the administration has not initiated any major policy changes in response to the classified cable, but a Deputies Committee meeting of top administration officials is scheduled for this week.

The report confirms the worst fears of officials who are frustrated by the current policy, which is to avoid any direct military assistance to the Syrian rebels and limit U.S. aid to sporadic deliveries of humanitarian and communications equipment.

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/po..._used_in_syria
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

It would be safer if they would use those sticky traps.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    If it makes Obama look bad it never happened. It was obviously just "pepper spray".
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    If it makes Obama look bad it never happened. It was obviously just "pepper spray".
    A Shiite with seasoning is still a pile of Shiite.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

5. #5 Exclusive: Secret State Department cable: Chemical weapons used in Syria 
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    And besides...why should 44 worry about Assad using Saddam's old stash of WMDs on his people when there's more important things to do like piss all over the 2nd Amendment.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    And besides...why should 44 worry about Assad using Saddam's old stash of WMDs on his people when there's more important things to do like piss all over the 2nd Amendment.

I recall Obama issuing some ultimatiums concerning Syria's use of chemical weapons. Now we get to see if he was just talking big to impress his loyal worshipers

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

7. #7 Exclusive: Secret State Department cable: Chemical weapons used in Syria 
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I recall Obama issuing some ultimatiums concerning Syria's use of chemical weapons. Now we get to see if he was just talking big to impress his loyal worshipers
    Yeah...so much for that "clear red line" he talked about.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Yeah...so much for that "clear red line" he talked about.

In Obama's defense, he never said it was a stationary clear red line

You keep drawing lines in the sand and eventually you run out of sand.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis