Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    This reads like a cheap dimestore novel...




    I'm not making fun of the mentally ill here and even some of the DUmmies are questioning this widdle tale...
    The premise is sound- there is a serious problem with the idea of doctors reporting patients to a system which will then deny them civil rights and make their business public. They were talking about this on Schnitt yesterday and doctors called in to say that they really didn't want to be part of this, and they sure as hell didn't want to be held accountable if they failed to diagnose a psychiatric condition in a cardiac or orthopedic patient.

    The rest of it's a bit off, but then it would be, wouldn't it? I can't believe that this person thinks that being diagnosed bipolar wasn't already a "black mark in his permanent record file". I don't want to hurt anyones feelings, but I pretty much avoid people that I suspect of being seriously medicated or needing it. I have had to deal with them in the past, and I simply do not have the patience or understanding to do it. When I advertised for a renter, I put it in the ad: "Not seeking a person who is on (or ought to be on) psychiatric drugs."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12 This poor schmuck just can't win... 
    Senior Member Jim54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    This reads like a cheap dimestore novel...




    I'm not making fun of the mentally ill here and even some of the DUmmies are questioning this widdle tale...


    http://www.democraticunderground.com/11146057




    Thu Jan 3, 2013, 11:04 AM

    Denninmi (4,989 posts)







    So, why are all of the women I meet out of my league? And usually unavailable.




    Probably because, if I were playing for an NCAA team, it would be about a "Class F" school.

    I think I need more self-confidence in this area of my life, too.

    I would like to at least make an effort, it's been a long dry spell, if you know what I mean. Really long.




    What? Can't even score by playing the sympathy card?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    9,994
    Actually, I do have a question. If someone has been treated for depression or anxiety or some other common disorder, and has taken meds at some point, does that mean this person can't own a gun? I always wondered about this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Actually, I do have a question. If someone has been treated for depression or anxiety or some other common disorder, and has taken meds at some point, does that mean this person can't own a gun? I always wondered about this.
    At least in theory, that's quite likely. If someone has had a court commitment, then those records are automatically forwarded to the FBI for the background check and that's at least going to be a red flag. If there has been a "voluntary" commitment (levels of "voluntary" in terms of committing for psychiatric help vary greatly, from checking oneself into Betty Ford in order to dry out to getting sent for a psych consult out of an ER and committed to a bars-on-the-windows psychiatric facility from there because you're speaking in tongues and think the Martians are harvesting your brain waves as an energy source for their matter-transference devices), this may or may not get reported (it's supposed to get reported, but this interferes with some states' and cities' medical privacy laws, so this is variable), and will raise a red flag. IIRC, one of the questions on a gun background check form is whether you have ever been prescribed or under the treatment of psychiatric drugs; if you answer "yes," this will raise red flags.

    Depending upon the state and/or locality, if you were depressed after a divorce or your mother died or something and your shrink put you on Paxil for a few weeks, this may or may not get reported and result in a red flag on a background check. In theory, shrinks are only supposed to report this if you have made overt threats of violence (even in confidence), but in practice that is very hard to pin down, so some will report pretty much anyone who has ever been given Xanax.


    None of this means an automatic complete denial of gun purchase. There is a rather extensive appeals process involved in red-flagged background checks. This is why Obama was lying when he claimed that 1.4 million (or however many it was) people who shouldn't have gotten guns were prevented from doing so by those same background checks. Out of those, something like 87% were red-flagged because the name was similar to someone else who actually was barred from owning guns. I can't find the article now, but IIRC, out of all of the background checks run since 1994, only something like 12,000 people have actually been prevented from having a gun because they actually shouldn't have had a gun. Virtually all of the rest were just put through extra hassle because the federal government, in their infinite wisdom and efficiency, screwed up the paperwork and needlessly denied someone from being able to get a gun.

    Crazy people generally don't go through background checks. They are usually too paranoid. Adam Lanza likely would have passed a background check had he been old enough to legally purchase a handgun. He refused to go through a state background check for a rifle, almost certainly because he was crazy and paranoid. The crazy who shot up Virginia Tech was the very rare exception to this.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,173
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    . Only rich people with Blue Cross or cash can just call up a shrink and set an appointment. Everyone else has to go through his county mental health system's intake (which can be done in an emergency room, if necessary).
    I have Blue Cross, yet I had no idea that I was rich.

    I simply choose to have pre tax dollars taken out of my paycheck every week while I have co workers bitch that they can't afford to go to the doctor because they have no insurance. Of course these same co workers have pay tv, internet, cell phones for every child's ear, and go out to lunch every day....

    Of course they can't afford insurance. My health insurnace costs me less then they spend on smokes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,612
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I have Blue Cross, yet I had no idea that I was rich.

    I simply choose to have pre tax dollars taken out of my paycheck every week while I have co workers bitch that they can't afford to go to the doctor because they have no insurance. Of course these same co workers have pay tv, internet, cell phones for every child's ear, and go out to lunch every day....

    Of course they can't afford insurance. My health insurnace costs me less then they spend on smokes.
    Rob, that's too logical of an answer to the old class warfare argument. People with Blue Cross aren't rich; it's just a matter of priorities. SR and I each have Blue Cross. It's expensive, but we feel that it is a necessity. We make adjustments in our budget to pay for it. I guess if we're defined as rich because we have insurance, it won't be for too long as the class envy folks will make sure that everyone has the same level of not so good insurance. The worker bees have to pay for the takers.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

    GO CARDS

    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,698
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I have Blue Cross, yet I had no idea that I was rich.

    I simply choose to have pre tax dollars taken out of my paycheck every week while I have co workers bitch that they can't afford to go to the doctor because they have no insurance. Of course these same co workers have pay tv, internet, cell phones for every child's ear, and go out to lunch every day....

    Of course they can't afford insurance. My health insurnace costs me less then they spend on smokes.

    There aren't many employers that offer Blue Cross anymore to their employees, because it is expensive to purchase. If I had chose that over Blue Care Network (Blue Cross's PPO), I'd still have it but would have to pay more each paycheck than I do for BCN. Newer employees don't have it as a choice, and I can't choose it now.

    But I should have said people with Blue Cross and rich people with cash. Mainly, I singled out BC because it is an old-school plan, in which the customer can call whatever doctor he wants to call, without being referred by a family doctor or from the community mental health intake agency (for that kind of specialist). Most people don't have insurance like that anymore, for better or worse.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Actually, I do have a question. If someone has been treated for depression or anxiety or some other common disorder, and has taken meds at some point, does that mean this person can't own a gun? I always wondered about this.
    Adam Wood seems to be completely informed on the subject, but this is how I handle it:

    No. The fact that I took medication for depression is privileged information between me and my doctor.

    Actually, I took up this question with my doctor when I was "required" to list all medications when applying for my Commercial Driver License. I thought - as many do - that there was a way someone could back check and see if I was telling the truth. He said no, and if anyone were to find out without me telling them, there would be big trouble. I am the only source of information; that's why they "require" me to tell them.

    I said "No" on the form. And I always answer 'no' to the question, "Have you ever.....?"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member TVDOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    No. The fact that I took medication for depression is privileged information between me and my doctor.

    Actually, I took up this question with my doctor when I was "required" to list all medications when applying for my Commercial Driver License. I thought - as many do - that there was a way someone could back check and see if I was telling the truth. He said no, and if anyone were to find out without me telling them, there would be big trouble. I am the only source of information; that's why they "require" me to tell them.
    Unfortunately not any longer.......I was having this conversation yesterday with my doctor, who was bitching and complaining about Obamacare......he advised that all doctors are required to implement "electronic record keeping", and the ulitmate result is that they will (as Obamacare is unfolded) be required to upload patient records to a massive government database which will be used for "administrative purposes".

    When Obamacare is all in place he advised that there will no longer essentially be any "doctor patient privilege" as the government will have access to everything....

    It doesn't take much imagination to envision where this is all going to eventually go......

    He further stated that Obamacare is set up by the Democrats very shrewdly, and is implemented over a long period of time, so until it's all in place patients will not be aware of the effects.......kinda like "boiling a frog".......except he states that when it's done people will not like the result, as the health care system will be in a shambles, and there will be very few doctors left in practice. He further stated that no intelligent person is going to subject themselves to eight years of intensive training to work for what the government is going to compensate them for their work. All that will be left are the incompetents, immigrants, and elderly physicians that are willing to work for peanuts.

    Healthcare for all........yes (sorta)......

    World-class quality healthcare for all......most assuredly no........

    doc
    Last edited by TVDOC; 01-24-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,269
    Quote Originally Posted by TVDOC View Post
    Unfortunately not any longer.......I was having this conversation yesterday with my doctor, who was bitching and complaining about Obamacare......he advised that all doctors are required to implement "electronic record keeping", and the ulitmate result is that they will (as Obamacare is unfolded) be required to upload patient records to a massive government database which will be used for "administrative purposes".

    When Obamacare is all in place he advised that there will no longer essentially be any "doctor patient privilege" as the government will have access to everything....

    It doesn't take much imagination to envision where this is all going to eventually go......

    He further stated that Obamacare is set up by the Democrats very shrewdly, and is implemented over a long period of time, so until it's all in place patients will not be aware of the effects.......kinda like "boiling a frog".......except he states that when it's done people will not like the result, as the health care system will be in a shambles, and there will be very few doctors left in practice. He further stated that no intelligent person is going to subject themselves to eight years of intensive training to work for what the government is going to compensate them for their work. All that will be left are the incompetents, immigrants, and elderly physicians that are willing to work for peanuts.

    Healthcare for all........yes (sorta)......

    World-class quality healthcare for all......most assuredly no........

    doc
    You sound well informed, and I am sure everything you say is true.

    I am counting on inefficiencies of the system to protect me, and I think I'll be OK. I'm still not going to tell everything about me. My thinking is, "if they can find out so easily then why do they ask and require me to answer?".

    But my case was a simple case of routine clinical depression. No violence, no suicidal tendencies. I am very glad that I sought treatment, and would still encourage others to seek help when they have problems with "draggin' ass depression". The problem the government is causing now, is "Oh shit! If I seek treatment, what will that do to my future?"

    And that, Dear Friends, is a sad thought, indeed.

    In the old days, doctors could tell pretty much whoever asked about your medications. Then, he could tell almost no one. Pretty soon, he will be forced to tell the government who will then tell everyone!

    Argh. Just, Argh.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •