1. #1 What’s Wrong With Conservatism 

Jonah Goldberg explains what’s wrong with conservatism

The morning after the presidential election, I quoted Eric Hoffer’s line that, “Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.”

And then I wrote this: “It’s time for conservative talking heads — many of whom misled their readers and audiences these last few weeks — to think more about the future of conservatism than about their personal popularity.”

(Even before the election, I had been worried about this trend — as evidenced by another column, “A GOP running on empty.”)

A month or so after the election, Bill Kristol echoed some of my concerns.

But Jonah Goldberg might have put it best today with this:

For starters the movement has an unhealthy share of hucksters eager to make money from stirring rage, paranoia, and an ill-defined sense of betrayal with little concern for the real political success that can come only with persuading the unconverted.

A conservative journalist or activist can now make a decent living while never once bothering to persuade a liberal. Telling people only what they want to hear has become a vocation. Worse, it’s possible to be a rank-and-file conservative without once being exposed to a good liberal argument.

I think he nailed it.

And he wisely avoided calling people out by name.

(But you know who you are…)

TheDailyCaller

No doubt, real success will only come with persuading the unconverted.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

I hate the way demagogues on the left produce demagogues on the right. I have said many time that Rush Limbaugh is responsible for Sandra Flukes' 15 minutes of fame. It was his able assistance to the left that launched her short lived, but damaging career.

Rush and some others are no friend to the serious right. Their interest is in entertainment.

That hasn't always been true. I never heard Paul Harvey called a demagogue. That term was rightly applied to Joe McCarthy. And now we have junior senators from the right introducing legislation that has no chance of being properly presented to the legislature, but has every chance of placing the senators name on the front page in his state.

Obama likes to believe that the majority of the people have elected him, but if you look at the figures that just isn't true. The majority of those who voted, voted for Obama, that's true. But that was only 59 million out of 311 million people, so saying that "most people' want this or that thing is a stretch. It's more like 20% of the people want such-and-such.

I'm sure he'll correct it the next time he speaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Rush and some others are no friend to the serious right. Their interest is in entertainment.
    Thank you. He has said as much in interviews when he began the show. To make money and entertain. To get an audience.

I think one of conservatisms biggest problems is having representatives with guts. Right now, the biggest fight for the 2A in the last 20 years is going on and supposed Conservatives like Paul Ryan, Mark Rubio and such are AWOL.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

4. #4 Re: What’s Wrong With Conservatism 
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Thank you. He has said as much in interviews when he began the show. To make money and entertain. To get an audience.

I think one of conservatisms biggest problems is having representatives with guts. Right now, the biggest fight for the 2A in the last 20 years is going on and supposed Conservatives like Paul Ryan, Mark Rubio and such are AWOL.
    They aren't AWOL, they're just not demagogues.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Its too bad the GOP care little for history. Otherwise they'd see just how successful conservatism has been... when its tried. When its announced from the roof tops. And explained to the voters. Of course, I guess it would be just a wee bit easier to "act" conservative, if you really were in fact conservative.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    Its too bad the GOP care little for history. Otherwise they'd see just how successful conservatism has been... when its tried. When its announced from the roof tops. And explained to the voters. Of course, I guess it would be just a wee bit easier to "act" conservative, if you really were in fact conservative.
    Aside from a select few, today's GOP is more interested in "making nice" and staying elected than staying true to the values of the people who voted them in.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.