Thread: Do you want to do something to help this planet? Stop flying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Do you want to do something to help this planet? Stop flying. 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    My dogs are smarter than this DUmmie...

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:44 AM
    MadHound

Do you want to do something to help this planet? Stop flying.

When you fly, the plane is spewing far more pounds of CO2 into the air per person per mile than a car ever does(even my old '49 DeSoto). Yet over the past fifty years, flying has become de rigueur for most people. Long gone are the days of Mom and Dad packing the kids into a station wagon and driving out for a vacation. Now Mom and Dad make sure that they and their kids are wearing shoes that are easy to slip on and off before they head to the airport and board a plane.

While the numbers vary a bit(due to car and plane model and how long the plane trip is), a rough average is that a plane emits a little over one pound of CO2 per person per mile. Meanwhile, if that same person were driving a car, they would be emitting a bit over 0.6 pounds of CO2 per mile. That is a significant difference.

Worse yet are those planes that are not carrying passengers, but cargo. Our obsession for next day(and now the latest thing, same day) delivery means we're sending up planes, planes and more planes all in order to get your Ginsu knife set to you tomorrow, because you absolutely, positively can't wait until next week for it. A train, even on our nation's horrible rail system, can go coast to coast in four days max, but apparently we've become far too accustomed, far too demanding to wait until then, so it is flown to you instead.

Oh, I know, I know, I can hear all the complaints and snide remarks now, but the fact of the matter is that if you want to accomplish something to abate the severity of global climate change, it is up to you to make that change, because if we leave it up to corporations and the government, it simply isn't going to happen. So it is up to us to make the change we want to see come about.

And really, just how much of a sacrifice are you going to be making? It wasn't that long ago that air mail was hardly used, and most of us waited patiently to get anything that we had ordered, a week or two. No big deal. You simply planned ahead for the delay. Same with travel. When I was a kid, air travel was something for the elite, not the rest of us. So, we took two week, or one week vacations, and drove to our destination. Some of the best times were to be had in the back seat of a car on a long trip.

But now we are a society that is far too into instant gratification. We want our stuff now, not in a week, we want to be there now, not tomorrow. It is this sort of selfish attitude that allows FedEx and Southwest to continue to pollute, and profit, from our poor self control.

So, the next time you want to order something, check the US Post box for shipping. When you want to go somewhere on your vacation, drive, don't fly. We've got to be the change we want to see, because nobody else is going to make that change for us.
    May the FORCE be with you!

I don't know about the planet but if they really want to do something special for the country they could buy a one way ticket to anywhere across either ocean and never travel by plane or boat again.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

What the heck?

thelordofhell (3,579 posts)

32. One good thing about 911.........no air traffic for a few days

The skies were brighter, clearer, and more beautiful than ever in those days of no-fly
    Does this person live at the foot of a runway?

Who here can not see a bright, clear, sky because of airplanes?
    Be Not Afraid.

And I guess it's OK to long for the "old days" but only for certain things.

The days when people went to church regularly or didn't have a phone stuck to their head or someone said a prayer before a high school football game...those days are evil. Now get off my lawn!!!
    Be Not Afraid.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    What the heck?

Does this person live at the foot of a runway?

Who here can not see a bright, clear, sky because of airplanes?

Silly!!! It's the chemtrails...

May the FORCE be with you!

I always thought chemtrails were beautiful. It's like Allah is writing little messages to us.

re: the OP and stolen from one of the DUmmies:

Be Not Afraid.

Hmmm, let's start with grounding Air Force One for vacation trips. Boats are still okay!
    http://allenbwest.com/
    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg
    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

After 9/11 they ran tests at Sky Harbor Airport... CO2 was actually HIGHER without the planes...

nope, not buying it...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

A liberal doing the planet a favor........try this at home.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I make up for it by walking to the airport.