1. #1 New York City On Track For Twice As Many Subway Deaths 
    NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — New York City officials have called for an investigation into the recent subway deaths in an effort to put the brakes on the number of incidents.

There have been six subway deaths already in 2013. The circumstances in the incidents vary, but Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer said the rash of deaths on the tracks deserves a closer look.

The city is on pace for 100 deaths this year – almost twice as many as last year, Stringer said.

“These accidents have been happening too often and to too many New Yorkers. The time is now to search for answers,” Stringer told reporters, including WCBS 880′s Peter Haskell and 1010 WINS’ Holli Haerr. “They’re something visceral and something tragic.”
    Read More>http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...ths-this-year/

Read the comments under the story.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

I know. Let's cut the size of soft drinks. That'll fix things.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I know. Let's cut the size of soft drinks. That'll fix things.
    You know it's those people frantic for a 20 oz Coke that are propelling themselves onto the train tracks.

The trains should be less than 17 ounces.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

No more than 7 cars per train.
    I dream of the day a chicken can cross the road without it's motives being questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

6 deaths in 2 1/2 weeks is a lot. That doesn't mean the rate will continue throughout the year, though.

I never rode the subways when I was in NYC-the friend I travelled with was afraid of them-fear of crime, not of falling onto the tracks . Are the platforms at all dangerous? Should they put up railings?

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    6 deaths in 2 1/2 weeks is a lot. That doesn't mean the rate will continue throughout the year, though.

I never rode the subways when I was in NYC-the friend I travelled with was afraid of them-fear of crime, not of falling onto the tracks . Are the platforms at all dangerous? Should they put up railings?
    In the article they say they can't afford to upgrade the safety features,.
    The MTA had previously said safety barriers would not be considered because of the high cost. But Stringer said the hefty price tag should not stop an analysis.

“You can’t throw up your hands and say we’re paralyzed because we have no financial resources,” said Stringer.

He said any option that can save lives is worth considering.
    one of them was hit while taking a shit on the tracks, railings wouldn't help there, just a good pressure washer to clean the front of the train.
    Which gives me an idea, maybe you could put something like a fire hose or possibly an airbag on the front of the train to lesson the blow or clear the track.

I remember riding the subways as a kid in the 70's in the Bronx. We were smart enough back then to not stand close to the ledge because it happened back in those days as well.

Everyone is in a hurry in NYC. They are probably on their ipod of iphones and not paying attention to their surroundings. Street smarts are dead.

When we lived in NYC, they were euphemistically referred to as "track pizzas".............most were suicides........

doc