1. #1 Unemployable At 50 Fate Of Present And Future Workers 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Man-O-Man!!! What a pity party this thread is!!!

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 10:39 AM
    TheMastersNemesis

Unemployable At 50 Fate Of Present And Future Workers

Forget working until you are 70 in any kind of meaningful job as you age. The CEO and corporate culture looks at 50 as the unemployable age in the new age economy. In Logan's Run people were supposed to be trashed at 30. Today your corporate CEO will trash you by 50 because a of new business attitude that has shred the social contract.

Fifty somethings are already finding out in great numbers what being unemployable means. In the past by the time you reached 50 in most jobs you had maximum vacation and numerous benefits for being a senior employee. Today you are considered a liability and drag on the company at a time when you need higher income for your retirement and to support getting your kids started in life with a good education.

Now corporations and CEO's are saying that you should wait until 70 or longer to get your Social Security and Medicare. And they REALLY WANT TO ABOLISH THAT AS WELL. So senior workers will face 20 years of part time and minimum wage jobs if they can get any job at all. And if you are disabled or ill you are royally screwed if you CAN'T WORK. Any sensible person knows that you cannot save for retirement at today's wages when pay is essentially capped at 30K. And you cannot build a future when most jobs are being reduced to part time, temporary, seasonal and less in the new Reagan revolution economy.

By the time the GOP and its allies have their way only 30% or less of the job market will support a person or family and 70% of the work force will be stuck in the "service economy". What you are seeing in this recovery is what the GOP and Reagan has wrought since 1980. Yet we still elect them. Obama himself cannot change this corporate model. Only the business community and corporations can. And only government policy can force them. FDR was right and knew what he was doing.

Look at the handwriting on the wall. THE CONVERSATION has to change and the business community has be to be challenged to change its ways and its attitude that only gets worse by the day. The prevalent anti union and anti labor and anti government attitude has given us this SUICIDAL situation.

I worked in the DOL for 24 years and could see what was coming. I am really puzzled at why the American worker embraced all of this mayhem. Now the next generation seems to be doomed to a life of low wages and virtual poverty.
    There are a few people on this one that aren't total losers but the vast number are just willing to blame someone, anyone. But themselves.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post

There are a few people on this one that aren't total losers but the vast number are just willing to blame someone, anyone. But themselves.
    Blame themselves for not working for the government or the military? It's really getting to the point where those are the only two places with anything approaching job security and a pension. Perhaps you know better.

Everyone can't be a CEO and spend his life taking as much as possible before being passed along by his good old boy network. School superintendents do a pretty good job of that, I would add. It's stunning in both cases, ie that a person can basically run their activity into the ground and then get another job and opportunity to do it again.

Where is the long term vision? These people (Wall St and the good ole boys) would eat the seed corn and let someone else worry about the future. It's like a game of musical chairs or hot potato- does anyone really remember who it was who collected millions a year and even more on his way out three executives before the formerly profitable company goes down the tube?

I know people who have impressive credentials who can't get a decent replacement job. I don't mean a job making as much as they were making at the last VP position, I mean half of what they were making. Look at the houses in foreclosure: they aren't all "people who should have never gotten a loan" , many of them are houses which were purchased wisely, conservatively, which simply can't be supported when one spouse has been out of work or making a fraction of his former pay for a year or two.

My sister has a good job again. It took four years for the opportunity to come along. In the interim she did a lot of stuff that doesn't look good on a professional's resumé. She worked for sleezy corporations (viaticals) by the hour, she was a substitute school teacher at Prison Prep, and she continued to do her volunteer work the entire time. Most firms don't seem to be impressed with "What I did to hold it together for myself and my child."

My cousin has taken jobs that are way below his educational and professional achievement level. People don't like to hire former corporate executives for lesser jobs because they know you are not going to be satisfied and that you will be looking the entire time you are there. He also continues to do volunteer work while all this is going on.

My tenant has lost her position. I'm more worried about her getting depressed than I am about the due rent.

These people are not slackers. They are not government employees- if they were they would still have jobs and pensions in their futures. They are people who were doing pretty well until things largely unrelated to the economy made their lives more difficult. For a lot of people it's a timing thing running up against a corporate culture that values youth on the cheap more than experience and value run by people who are eating the seed corn.

http://www.sarasota-foreclosures.com/

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Nova, the IT field is full of jobs again, even here in FL. I saw a thing in the paper a few weeks ago
    from a company on the other coast that said they were dying for people. The problem being the jobs
    needed a security clearence and you had to be a US citizen.

You know as well as everyone else on this board does how the DUers are always
    looking to blame someone. Ebil "Big Whatever" or something.

NOTHING is good enough for those clowns, they want Obama to give them all 100K jobs.
    And those jobs should all be Mgt.

I read what you said about your sister. The key thing is she kept at it and got what she wanted.

I doubt a lot of the DUmmies in a position to hire would hire their buds on the board. They are professional bitchers.
    They want a 100K job, doing nothing, and a condo in Boca. A nice one.
    May the FORCE be with you!