1. #1 Honey, I Shrank The Army; On Brink Of A Hollow Force 
    Defense: As sequestration looms and an advocate of military budget cuts prepares to be confirmed as Secretary of Defense, the Army reports that it will have to cut base operations by almost a third, jeopardizing its missions.

'The readiness of our Armed Forces is at a tipping point," Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey wrote to Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, in a Jan. 14 letter also signed by the chiefs of the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps.

The letter was written as the Pentagon braces for a looming $52 billion shortfall this fiscal year if Congress and the White House do not reach a deal by March 1 to avoid across-the-board cuts under sequestration rules mandated by the Budget Control Act and by the failure of the Obama administration to restrain its reckless nondefense spending.

In the letter, Dempsey further warned that "we are on the brink of creating a hollow force," because under the current budget conditions and legislation, the Pentagon could be ordered to keep a number of troops it can't sustain.

Dempsey's remarks echoed those of outgoing Defense Secretary Leon Panetta in a recent appearance at the National Defense University.

"Very simply, it would result in hollowing out the force," he said of further sequestration reductions on top of existing budget cuts, alluding to reductions made in the aftermath of the Vietnam War that left Army units undermanned and ill-equipped. "It would terribly weaken our ability to respond to the threats in the world."

A Jan. 6 Department of the Army memo titled "Risk Mitigation In The Face Of Fiscal Uncertainty" says the Army will seek to slash its base operations budget by 30% from fiscal year 2012 to make ends meet.

It asks that commanders "who believe that this action will harm mission-critical activities should indicate their reasoning and propose alternate courses of action."

As an article in the Army Times points out, if left unchanged, current law will require the Army to cut 100,000 troops in five years in addition to planned cuts of 80,000 soldiers.

"If we have sequestration, it will affect both the active and reserve component," Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno said, speaking last May 17 on Capitol Hill, before an audience at a Senate Caucus breakfast.

"It depends on what balance we pick. But what I talk about a lot is: 70,000 out of the active, 30,000 out of the reserve; 80,000 out of the active, 20,000 out of the reserve. Some number around there is what we would expect," Odierno said.

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editor...#ixzz2IwfNxvtR
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

And the third term of Carter continues....
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

My sympathy for the troops, but at the same time my sympathy for Dempsey and his peers is quite limited, I expect the appointees like Panetta to be complete political whores with only the dimmest grasp of what they're screwing around with, but the senior military leadership has completely bought into ridiculously-wasteful programs like blowing $400-plus per gallon on biodiesel, which accomplishes nothing except rewarding Obingo's green energy bundlers, and an endless series of social engineering programs and exhaustive administrative investigations of every dumbshit who gets himself hurt or acquires any sort of negative attention, which has made life for a company commander who wants to either conduct realistic training or execute his actual wartime mission as a first priority above everything else Goddam-near impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    My sympathy for the troops, but at the same time my sympathy for Dempsey and his peers is quite limited, I expect the appointees like Panetta to be complete political whores with only the dimmest grasp of what they're screwing around with, but the senior military leadership has completely bought into ridiculously-wasteful programs like blowing $400-plus per gallon on biodiesel, which accomplishes nothing except rewarding Obingo's green energy bundlers, and an endless series of social engineering programs and exhaustive administrative investigations of every dumbshit who gets himself hurt or acquires any sort of negative attention, which has made life for a company commander who wants to either conduct realistic training or execute his actual wartime mission as a first priority above everything else Goddam-near impossible.
    Is it that they have bought into the boondoggles or that they have no choice. As in you'll do this or you'll not have a job.

I mean I know that CJCS is a big Obama guy...but still.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Is it that they have bought into the boondoggles or that they have no choice. As in you'll do this or you'll not have a job.

I mean I know that CJCS is a big Obama guy...but still.
    When you have four stars, you're not going any higher, and can afford to stand on principle...if you still have any by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    When you have four stars, you're not going any higher, and can afford to stand on principle...if you still have any by that point.
    I'm beginning to thing principle has left the Pentagon at that level.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    I'm beginning to thing principle has left the Pentagon at that level.
    At that level, it's all about who you play golf with. Even for military brass.