Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What the $#@% is it!? 
    Haven't done one in a while, so what do you think this is?

I always go with my best guess - A medievil torture device!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

...something a knight would wear?

The Terminator's pet of some kind?
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    The Terminator's pet of some kind?
    Ha, good one!

That item in the picture is known as a Lantern Shield....

The lantern shield is a type of buckler combined with a lantern, in use during the Italian Renaissance (15th and 16th century Italy). A number of specimens survive. Their defining feature is a small circular shield with a hook from which to hang a lantern, intended to blind the opponent at night or in duels fought at dawn.

Some elaborate examples are known, some with integrated gauntlets, spikes, added blades, etc. The most peculiar example is the one now kept at the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna, made in ca. the 1540s.

Swordsmen duelling at dawn are reported to have carried lanterns during the 16th and 17th centuries, and fencing manuals of the period integrated the lantern into their lessons, using it to parry blows and blind the opponent. The manuals sometimes show the combatants carrying the lantern in the left hand wrapped behind the back, which is still one of the traditional positions for the off hand in modern fencing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lantern_shield
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    That item in the picture is known as a Lantern Shield....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lantern_shield
    Ok say you are right. What the heck are the pointy things everywhere and whats with the little drop down flap! I gotta say I have no clue what it is, the answer comes out tomorrow night!

I just remembered, I watched alot of movies with armies in armor and never seen a shield like that, ingenious!

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Ok say you are right. What the heck are the pointy things everywhere and whats with the little drop down flap! I gotta say I have no clue what it is, the answer comes out tomorrow night!

I just remembered, I watched alot of movies with armies in armor and never seen a shield like that, ingenious!
    Escudo lanterna

Era um escudo pequeno e redondo com dimensões que variavam de 20 a 40 Cm de diâmetro, distinguia-se dos demais por apresentar uma espécie de “ferrão” em seu centro e, no mais das vazes, fazia parte da manopla da armadura, quando não, este escudo era preso ao braço com fivelas de couro. Isso permitia que o usuário pudesse empunhar duas armas e ainda teria o benefício do escudo. Foi muito usado nos séculos XVI e XVII, em alguns casos apresentava uma abertura que possibilitava o uso em conjunto com uma arma de fogo.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Escudo lanterna

Era um escudo pequeno e redondo com dimensões que variavam de 20 a 40 Cm de diâmetro, distinguia-se dos demais por apresentar uma espécie de “ferrão” em seu centro e, no mais das vazes, fazia parte da manopla da armadura, quando não, este escudo era preso ao braço com fivelas de couro. Isso permitia que o usuário pudesse empunhar duas armas e ainda teria o benefício do escudo. Foi muito usado nos séculos XVI e XVII, em alguns casos apresentava uma abertura que possibilitava o uso em conjunto com uma arma de fogo.
    ???

Isso permitia que o usuário pudesse empunhar duas armas e ainda teria o benefício do escudo
    No it is not permitted to use my pudesse empunhar for the benefit of your escudo. Whatever that is!!!

Foi muito usado
    And the same to you pumpkin!

em alguns casos apresentava uma abertura que possibilitava o uso em conjunto com uma arma de fogo
    And further more ... as for the possibility of presentavaing my uma abertura in conjuction with whatever an arma de fogo is ... you can forget that as well!

So there! ~ ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Escudo lanterna

Did you just call Shannon fat!??