1. #1 If The Dems Made A Concerted Effort To Appeal To Rural Voters What Would... 

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 08:37 AM

global1 (10,298 posts)

If The Dems Made A Concerted Effort To Appeal To Rural Voters What Would You Recommend They Do?....

I was reading a post this a.m. that garnered a lot of responses about "why Dems don't do well in rural areas". It made me wonder - what could Dems do to appeal to rural voters to get their vote?

This got me to thinking about the problem Repugs have with minority voters, women, LGBT's, etc - and the Repugs now are talking about re-branding and changing their message to appeal to these groups going forward.

My feelings on that is that the Repugs might on the surface re-brand and change their message - but when it's all said and done - all it would be is lip service and as soon as they would get elected - they would revert back to their old ways. That you couldn't believe them or trust them to have really changed.

I'm thinking now after reading the long post and thread about "why Dems don't do well in rural areas" that the same goes for Dems in those areas. The Dems might be able to change their message to rural folks to appeal to them - but bottom line - I'm wondering if the rural folks would trust or believe the message?

So my question is - is there something really tangible that the Dems could do in order to appeal to rural voters? What would that be? and - Would that be a worthy endeavor?
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022257120

Check out the DUmmies high regard for the lowly country folk. Based on what I saw in this thread I'd recommend that they stay in the city. But if they were really brave and wanted to drop by I'd recommend that they follow the time honored tradition of yelling "Hello the house!" from outside of the gate to avoid lead poisoning. Then once I'd heard them out and said "Not interested. Now get off my property.", I'd recommend they make tracks. Out here you have to work too damn hard at being self sufficient to even tolerate people that scorn the concept of self reliance.

"Asakatsu Magatsu"

True victory is victory over oneself.

~ Morihei Ueshiba O-Sensei ~

As long as Moonbats think everyone who lives between the western bank of the Hudson, and Hollywood & Vine is just a stupid hick they are going to get no where.

Because those people ( including myself) don't like the idea that the government should take all of your money, property, liberty and free will and give it all to the asshole who were living in the OWS camps.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Wow! The sheer ignorance in that thread astounds! So, because I choose to live outside the concrete jungle, I'm a slack-jawed yokel who needs to be led by the nose to the "light" of Leftism?

Get over yourselves, Lefties... I can hunt, fish, grow food crops and make do with what's around if need be. I walk a mile (round trip) to the mailbox. How many of you can go to the corner store without hopping on your transportation? Two different lifestyles. Two very different lifestyles. I can live in theirs (choose not to) they would RUN, SCREAMING to get away from mine
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

I live in rural southern Missouri, there were a few Obama signs scattered around, probably union members, but no more than about 15% of the signage (MO, sadly, remains a closed-shop state with a stiff income tax, and the Dem Gov can't seem to figure out why it's bleeding jobs, though at least having IL for a neighbor makes us look good by comparison). In this county, about the only way for the Dems to gain votes would be to solemnly and sincerely promise to change parties and adopt Conservative positions if elected.

I too live in Southern Missouri, the rural SW Ozarks to be exact. The state, excepting St. Louis, Kansas City and a few urban areas, overall went for Romney. The legistature, both houses, is Republican and keeps check on the Dem gov'ner.

That aside, there's very little that that the Dems, who would force their will on others, can do to appeal to those of us who have a will of our own.

Having lived and worked in Kansas City, Chicago and Columbus, OH, I decided when I was transferred to Denver, to buy and live in the mountains. That sold me. When I was transferred to Indianapolis, we bought a house in rural Fortville, NE of Indianapolis.

We're now retired on Table Rock Lake in Shell Knob, Barry County, MO. It's unincorporated, and a beautiful place to live. I can say to the government, "Just leave me the hell alone! I'll take care of myself."

Large cities are for crime and criminals. They are for the takers, not the makers. They are nowhere, certainly not a place to live or raise children........

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    I too live in Southern Missouri, the rural SW Ozarks to be exact. The state, excepting St. Louis, Kansas City and a few urban areas, overall went for Romney. The legistature, both houses, is Republican and keeps check on the Dem gov'ner.

That aside, there's very little that that the Dems, who would force their will on others, can do to appeal to those of us who have a will of our own.

Having lived and worked in Kansas City, Chicago and Columbus, OH, I decided when I was transferred to Denver, to buy and live in the mountains. That sold me. When I was transferred to Indianapolis, we bought a house in rural Fortville, NE of Indianapolis.

We're now retired on Table Rock Lake in Shell Knob, Barry County, MO. It's unincorporated, and a beautiful place to live. I can say to the government, "Just leave me the hell alone! I'll take care of myself."

Large cities are for crime and criminals. They are for the takers, not the makers. They are nowhere, certainly not a place to live or raise children........

Racist!!! Cityist!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!