Thread: Can vegans stomach the unpalatable truth about quinoa?

1. #1 Can vegans stomach the unpalatable truth about quinoa? 
    Can vegans stomach the unpalatable truth about quinoa?

Ethical consumers should be aware poor Bolivians can no longer afford their staple grain, due to western demand raising prices

Peta response Eating quinoa may harm Bolivian farmers, but eating meat harms us all

Joanna Blythman
    guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 16 January 2013 05.14 EST
    Not long ago, quinoa was just an obscure Peruvian grain you could only buy in wholefood shops. We struggled to pronounce it (it's keen-wa, not qui-no-a), yet it was feted by food lovers as a novel addition to the familiar ranks of couscous and rice. Dieticians clucked over quinoa approvingly because it ticked the low-fat box and fitted in with government healthy eating advice to "base your meals on starchy foods".

Adventurous eaters liked its slightly bitter taste and the little white curls that formed around the grains. Vegans embraced quinoa as a credibly nutritious substitute for meat. Unusual among grains, quinoa has a high protein content (between 14%-18%), and it contains all those pesky, yet essential, amino acids needed for good health that can prove so elusive to vegetarians who prefer not to pop food supplements.

Sales took off. Quinoa was, in marketing speak, the "miracle grain of the Andes", a healthy, right-on, ethical addition to the meat avoider's larder (no dead animals, just a crop that doesn't feel pain). Consequently, the price shot up it has tripled since 2006 with more rarified black, red and "royal" types commanding particularly handsome premiums.
    Read More>http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...e-truth-quinoa

What wait, Tree hugging commie liberal vegetarians are destroying a culture and contributing to the ill health and demise of an indigenous people? This cant be!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post

What wait, Tree hugging commie liberal vegetarians are destroying a culture and contributing to the ill health and demise of an indigenous people? This cant be!
    Oh my, oh my!

I guess these much uninformed of the consequences, non meat-eating vegans don't know that their strict adherence to their quasi-religious and well intentioned foolishness ... is capable of cutting both ways?

Have they never heard of the expression that "you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs?"

Sorry, but it does make me laugh!

~ ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post

I have eaten it and can't say that I found it had any flavor at all other than the ones added to it. I would have easily believed had I been told it was barley. And here in Florida, we call it "kwin-oh-ah".

4. #4 Re: Can vegans stomach the unpalatable truth about quinoa? 
    As always, what makes liberals feel good trumps reality. Maybe we could ship out some of the corn that we burn as ethanol in return.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I never tried quinoa when I went through my macrobiotic phase in the early 90s. I tried and actually liked bulgar wheat pilaf, though.

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    I just had some Basmati rice for lunch.......................smothered in venison, gravy and onions!

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Power CUer
    I like quinoa, but like most starches it is just a "bedding" to accompany other ingredients. I'm really not eating much from the starch group these days, and I don't miss it. I don't miss the larger wardrobe I've shrunk out of, either. ;-D
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Trending starches, we must have them, don't stand in our way.

But than on the other hand we probably have lots of farmers who were previously living in poverty who now have plenty.
    No matter how you look at it liberals have been an engine of trade and a steady flow of cash for South America for half a century, first with their cocaine and other drugs and now with munchies.
    Sad that they always leave a trail of bodies to clean up.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg