Thread: "Democrats Load Up Bailout Bill With Their Political Pork !"

1. #1 "Democrats Load Up Bailout Bill With Their Political Pork !" 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Democrats add billions to stopgap bill
    .................................................. .........................................
    "Democrats Load Up Bailout Bill With Their Political Pork !"
    "We must not forget Main Street as we work to address the crisis on Wall Street," said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat

.................................................. ......
    Even as Congress moves to bail out Wall Street, congressional Democrats called Thursday for billions more in taxpayer dollars to be spent on private shipyards, a new Department of Homeland Security headquarters and hybrid car batteries - all to get the economy going.

As part of their massive new spending plan, Senate Democrats also proposed continuing a ban on U.S. oil shale, a resource Republicans said leaves hundreds of millions of barrels of oil off limits, just a day after the House agreed to lift a ban on oil shale exploration.

Those are all part of a $56.2 billion economic stimulus package Democrats in the Senate have crafted and are considering attaching to a must-pass stopgap measure to keep the government running past Sept. 30, when the fiscal year ends. As of Thursday evening, they had not made a final decision.

"We must not forget Main Street as we work to address the crisis on Wall Street," said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat. "Democrats believe that we must urgently pass another economic recovery package that will create hundreds of thousands of good-paying American jobs and prevent cuts in critical services for millions of Americans."

Republicans, though, said by extending the oil shale moratorium, Democrats are leaving some good jobs on the table.

"Senator Reid's move to reinstate the ban on oil shale energy production is an insult to the American people and yet another example of Democrats acting to make energy more expensive for working families and small businesses," said House Minority Leader John A. Boehner, Ohio Republican.

The stimulus spending package is on top of a $630 billion stop-gap measure the House passed Wednesday and which is now pending in the Senate. That bill must be passed before Oct. 1 to keep the government running into the next fiscal year.

But the stimulus package goes well beyond the basics to take care of many needs Democrats have been seeking to address, including:

cIncreasing food stamp benefits by 10 percent, paying for 18 million additional meals for a senior citizens program and designating $450 million for the Women, Infants and Children Benefits program.

cSpending $5.1 billion for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance program.

cSetting aside $925 million for a new Coast Guard polar ice-cap icebreaker.

cPaying hundreds of millions for a Homeland Security headquarters that will consolidate many of the former agencies now scattered across Washington. Democrats and DHS officials say the move will help the department do its job.

cDesignating $10.8 billion for a whole range of infrastructure, including bridges, mass transit, Amtrak and airports.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-stopgap-bill/

Setting aside $925 million for a new Coast Guard polar ice-cap icebreaker.
    What a waste, what with the ice melting and all.

Pork Pork and more pork.

Here pig pig pig pig! HERE pig pig pig pig. Soooey! SOO - SOO - SOO -sooooEY!
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

We need the names and party affiliation of the slimeballs who are attempting to cash in on this crises. If these Congresscritters cannot do this without adding to the debt even more, I say let the Wall (street) fall. Maybe this is what we need to get the Washington filth removed and replaced with TRUE servants.:mad:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    How do you tell in this bill where the pork begins, or where it ends? You can't.

This entire bill is pork. A monumental bad idea.

You expect the dims not to jump all over it and add their pet projects to this gravy train?
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    How do you tell in this bill where the pork begins, or where it ends? You can't.

This entire bill is pork. A monumental bad idea.

You expect the dims not to jump all over it and add their pet projects to this gravy train?
    I agree and I don't like it either. If ( and it looks likely) we are going ahead with this, I don't want to make it worse because some A$$clown Congress thief adds more to the backs of the taxpayers.:mad:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I agree and I don't like it either. If ( and it looks likely) we are going ahead with this, I don't want to make it worse because some A$$clown Congress thief adds more to the backs of the taxpayers.:mad:
    You got that right.

I have a feeling we're going to get stuck with the check after others have eaten the meal and left the restaurant, but I don't want to see anyone running up the tab, especially when I'm one of the ones paying it.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Might as well while the printing presses are hot!
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants, it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt