Thread: I want...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Yes, Sibes require a daily brush and probably a weekly brush overhaul. Normally, in the North, they have two heavy shed "seasons"...but in Florida, they shed year round because of the obvious.

I am installing wood floors during the second week of February, mid tone to dark tone, wood, so hair will probably show a lot.

I now have 3 cats thanks to the rescue group I help out as I can proudly wear the foster failure label now...

Sibes are okay with cats if the they think they are part of the family, which can only happen if you get one as a puppy. I spoke with a Sibe rescue/breeder in Orange County Florida who said getting one at the puppy stage would be fine. He didn't recommend a rescue as he said even if the rescue was fine with cats he grew up with, he may not be fine with mine. Huskies also need a firm leader as they aren't trainable if they think you are weaker than they.

They certainly are a handful and I have read extensively about them...that's why I have doubts whether I'd be the right home for them.

My father has a neighbor with one who is very well behaved and I have a snowbird Canadian couple who bring their Sibes during the season in Florida...also well behaved.
    They are also runners, and I am not. I could do daily walks with them but might not be enough to keep up with them.

I read about greyhounds too, supposedly great for people like me as they are also couch potatoes like me. But I am trying to be more active.
    Greys need daily walks. They aren't really runners, know that sounds strange, but they run on the track for a short distance, then crash for a long time after their run in the cages, after being hosed down with cool water. Greys are definitely not marathon runners.

I've posted this pic before, but this is Bella. It's hard to tell, but she doesn't have the dark brown eyes of Darlene, but as a "blue" dog she's got eyes more like a weimariner, sort of a greenish color.

http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Arctic breeds ehhh???

May the FORCE be with you!

My norgie's shedding isn't that bad, but I live in the north. She's a very good dog, always has been since day one. She's not a full-breed, I got her at the MHS shelter.

Katie's old, but she still will run around the yard, especially if there is a stray cat to chase out of it. She's usually good with children, and really likes the little ones. She gets annoyed with them as they get older, so she identifies well with human adults, too.

As she's 14, I've been thinking about what kind of dog I will get next. I love the huskies. There was one on True Blood last year that was such a pretty puppy (the little werewolf girl's puppy self), and I kept thinking "I want that puppy". I will probably get a pup from the MHS shelter, where I got Katie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    ......They shed a lot, but.................
    Write that down 100 times.
    That factor alone will drive you and your dog apart.

But I know how you feel. Back in the old days I used to go to strip joints and always wanted one of those, too. Learn from the mistakes of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Write that down 100 times.
    That factor alone will drive you and your dog apart.

But I know how you feel. Back in the old days I used to go to strip joints and always wanted one of those, too. Learn from the mistakes of others.
    Yes, but those are a lot more fun to watch as they shed.

If you are going to get a dog, ask yourself what qualities you want, and then decide which are most important to you, and which are deal breakers, then stick to that. The husky is adorable, but most puppies are, and you have to factor in how the dog will fit in with you, your family and your home.

Is it me, or does this sound like one of the dating threads?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    G

I haven't seen this pic. She's so beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

Is it me, or does this sound like one of the dating threads?
    Ha! No it does not, in the dating threads, I'm usually bashing the subject.