Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 U.N. Drone Investigator: If Facts Lead to U.S. War Crimes, So Be It 

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 08:24 AM

green for victory (303 posts)

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022282509

U.N. Drone Investigator: If Facts Lead to U.S. War Crimes, So Be It

Ben Emmerson wants to be clear: He’s not out to ban flying killer robots used by the CIA or the U.S. military. But the 49-year-old British lawyer is about to become the bane of the drones’ existence, thanks to the United Nations inquiry he launched last week into their deadly operations.

Emmerson, the United Nations’ special rapporteur for human rights and counterterrorism, will spend the next five months doing something the Obama administration has thoroughly resisted: unearthing the dirty secrets of a global counterterrorism campaign that largely relies on rapidly proliferating drone technology. Announced on Thursday in London, it’s the first international inquiry into the drone program, and one that carries the imprimatur of the world body. By the next session of the United Nations in the fall, Emmerson hopes to provide the General Assembly with an report on 25 drone strikes in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia and Palestine where civilian deaths are credibly alleged.

That carries the possibility of a reckoning with the human damage left by drones, the first such witnessing by the international community. Accountability, Emmerson tells Danger Room in a Monday phone interview, “is the central purpose of the report.” He’s not shying away from the possibility of digging up evidence of “war crimes,” should the facts point in that direction. But despite the Obama administration’s secrecy about the drone strikes to date, he’s optimistic that the world’s foremost users of lethal drone tech will cooperate with him.

In conversation, Emmerson, who’s served as special rapporteur since 2011, doesn’t sound like a drone opponent or a drone skeptic. He sounds more like a drone realist. “Let’s face it, they’re here to stay,” he says, shortly after pausing to charge his cellphone during a trip to New York to prep for his inquiry. “This technology, as I say, is a reality. It is cheap, both in economic terms and in the risk to the lives of the service personnel who are from the sending state....>>MORE

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013...drone-inquiry/
    My, my how things have changed! President Bush's use of drones = war crimes. Obama's use of same = ...crickets? And I forsee a pizza in the OP's future for daring to mention The Won's drone war. Interesting...not one reponse to the OP on DU so far at the time of posting this here.

Update. Still not one response on DU. I can only imagine how hot the thread would be if President Bush were still in office. The hypocrisy is truly sickening.
    Last edited by Jim54; 01-30-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Color me shocked...the U.N. working against the U.S.

They see war crimes in everything our military does.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Color me shocked...the U.N. working against the U.S.

They see war crimes in everything our military does.
    I don't recall the UN being very supportive to us after 9/11. Apparently, drones are worse than flying manned civilian aircraft into targets.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I don't recall the UN being very supportive to us after 9/11. Apparently, drones are worse than flying manned civilian aircraft into targets.
    If I'm not mistaken I read a story recently that the UN was requesting drones.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    If I'm not mistaken I read a story recently that the UN was requesting drones.
    They won't use them. Drone's can't traffic women and children, extort sex from them and otherwise do the things that we've come to associate with UN Peacekeepers.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Tokyo, March 1945 - >100,000 civilians

Dresden, February 1945 - >30,000 civilians

New York, September 2001 - >3,000 civilians

...so tell me about civilian casualties and collateral damage.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    Tokyo, March 1945 - >100,000 civilians

Dresden, February 1945 - >30,000 civilians

New York, September 2001 - >3,000 civilians

...so tell me about civilian casualties and collateral damage.
    The Japanese caused an estimated 5.4 million civilian deaths in a war that they started.

The Third Reich caused between 1.2 and 3.2 civilian million deaths in a war that they started.

Great grab Jim54. What a dilemma for these DUmmies.

Do they back the UN and admit fault with Barry? Oh noes.

Or do they back Barry which means they support his clandestine, I'll do what I want without Congress approval and just target kill indiscriminately at will. Oh noes noes.

No wonder why the thread has zero replies. Heads are 'sploding with every click of the thread. 8 hours old, 100+ views and no replies. LMAO.

Keep on killing Barry, keep on killing. Even if they are American citizens (which hasn't stopped you), keep on killing. Rain that hellfire from above. hahahahaha. This guy does shit even Bushitler didn't do.
    Be Not Afraid.

He’s not shying away from the possibility of digging up evidence of “war crimes,” should the facts point in that direction.
    zOMG!!!! War Crimes!!! Barry committed war crimes? That's unpossible. Not Barry, everyone loves Barry, Barry can do no wrong, Barry wiped out terrorism, Barry cured baldness and cancer for crying out loud. Barry is our lord and savior.

Can you imagine the hilarity that will ensue if Obama or this admin gets charged with war crimes. One can only dream.

But despite the Obama administration’s secrecy about the drone strikes to date, he’s optimistic that the world’s foremost users of lethal drone tech will cooperate with him.
    Barry admin cooperate? Nevermind, I thought this UN guy might have had a head on his shoulders.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    They won't use them. Drone's can't traffic women and children, extort sex from them and otherwise do the things that we've come to associate with UN Peacekeepers.
    It's also much harder to enrich oneself and family from kickbacks out of a one- or two-line-item contract for drone services than to get it from all the logistics contracts a large ground force of third world military ne'er-do-wells would require.