1. #1 vaccines and spay, need advice 
    Fabulous Poster
    My chihuahua had a third round of vaccines yesterday including Leptospirosis vaccine. That did not go well. He was too sore at the injection site to touch, and he was not feeling well all day. He started coming out of it last night and today appears to be fine. I'm a little ticked off because the Vet didn't ask me if I wanted him to get this vaccine and certainly didn't tell me that he would be in pain and ill as a result of it until after he had done it.

But the real reason I am starting this thread is that the Vet's aid asked me to schedule "a full set" which would now be a FOURTH round of vaccines. This seems excessive. I suspect that they aren't counting the set that was done before I bought him. It was my understanding that the "fourth round" was simply a rabies shot so he can get tags. Do you think this is excessive?

Also, after reading up on what's involved, I am inclined to NOT have him fixed. I don't see any point in it. He's mostly an indoor dog and is never allowed to roam and never will be. If he has any contact with other dogs it will always be under supervision.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    My chihuahua had a third round of vaccines yesterday including Leptospirosis vaccine. That did not go well. He was too sore at the injection site to touch, and he was not feeling well all day. He started coming out of it last night and today appears to be fine. I'm a little ticked off because the Vet didn't ask me if I wanted him to get this vaccine and certainly didn't tell me that he would be in pain and ill as a result of it until after he had done it.

But the real reason I am starting this thread is that the Vet's aid asked me to schedule "a full set" which would now be a FOURTH round of vaccines. This seems excessive. I suspect that they aren't counting the set that was done before I bought him. It was my understanding that the "fourth round" was simply a rabies shot so he can get tags. Do you think this is excessive?

Also, after reading up on what's involved, I am inclined to NOT have him fixed. I don't see any point in it. He's mostly an indoor dog and is never allowed to roam and never will be. If he has any contact with other dogs it will always be under supervision.
    Chihuahuas are prone to getting fat when neutered or spayed, if it was a female I would say do it anyway since a pregnancy from to big a daddy could kill it, since it is male and never gets out I would not worry about it unless he starts marking his territory on your furniture.
    get all his shots while your at it, he'll be okay.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Just my 2˘ , but the result from the Leptospirosis shot might have been due to the vet's skills.

I would certainly do the rabies shot. You can't always prevent small, hyperactive pups like chihuahuas from rushing out when somebody strange comes to the door. It's just a modest precaution.

As to neutering, that would be descretionary. In my case, and as a matter of practice for almost fifty years, I've always had the "kids" spayed or neutered.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    Just my 2˘ , but the result from the Leptospirosis shot might have been due to the vet's skills.

I would certainly do the rabies shot. You can't always prevent small, hyperactive pups like chihuahuas from rushing out when somebody strange comes to the door. It's just a modest precaution.

As to neutering, that would be descretionary. In my case, and as a matter of practice for almost fifty years, I've always had the "kids" spayed or neutered.
    We've also had the pups spayed or neutered, but with greyhounds, there isn't much of a choice. It's done before we get them. The breeders won't surrender their dogs to rescue groups unless they are fixed. If the dog had been a good runner, but maybe didn't have that greyt of a pedigree or particularly in the case of male dogs, didn't need another stud, they still didn't want their breeding efforts benefitting someone else.

We usually get the 3 year rabies shot. That way they don't have to go through it as often.

With a dog that's sensitive healthwise, like my Blue with his epilepsy, I always had the vet do one at a time and would just bring Blue in separate times for the additional shots. But then, I had a good vet who didn't charge a separate exam fee each time. He just wanted Blue to be well.

And when a dog gets older, my vet usually said that they don't need all the shots (except rabies, which they legally must have). You can always get a titer test, which measures the level of the various immunizations existing in their system. In states that demand certain shots or if a kennel requires the shot documentation, usually you can just present the report.

Darlene will be 10 and we didn't get all the shots for her in December 12.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS