Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1 Tourist on vacation finds huge diamond 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sunny,FL
    Posts
    43,277
    Why can't this happen to me???



    By Frances Cha, CNN
    updated 4:19 AM EDT, Thu August 15, 2013


    (CNN) -- "Remember the time Mikey found that massive diamond at that park?"

    That's how one North Carolina family is going to remember this summer.

    Boy Scout Michael Detlaff, 12, was visiting an Arkansas park with his family on July 31 when he found a 5.16-carat "honey brown diamond" in the park's "diamond search area."

    The park's response?

    "It is thrilling any time a child finds a diamond here."
    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,754
    I like the park's response, although I question the writing skills of the article's author. Can a park respond to questions? A park's director, or a ranger can respond, though.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,080
    I wonder what the IRS is going to tax the family for that little find.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I wonder what the IRS is going to tax the family for that little find.

    If the family is smart, they will put the proceeds from selling the diamond into a college fund for the kid, except for what they need to pay a good tax attorney to help them with it all. I have no idea what something like that is worth, though.


    Then again, you know kids. He's going to want to bring it to school and show his friends and teachers.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,256
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    If the family is smart, they will put the proceeds from selling the diamond into a college fund for the kid, except for what they need to pay a good tax attorney to help them with it all. I have no idea what something like that is worth, though.


    Then again, you know kids. He's going to want to bring it to school and show his friends and teachers.
    For someone that was so worried about the "writing skills of the article's author" did you miss that the author included the value of the diamond in the story?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,754
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    For someone that was so worried about the "writing skills of the article's author" did you miss that the author included the value of the diamond in the story?

    I didn't read the whole article, just the part that was on this site.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,256
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I didn't read the whole article, just the part that was on this site.
    It's a very interesting article that talks about other diamonds found there.

    The park's policy is finders keepers, which means Michael Detlaff went home with his diamond, which he named "God's Glory Diamond."

    Mining.com estimated his find to be worth between $12,000 and $15,000 after being cut and polished.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •