#1 For Rock - Facts about Oklahoma .02-04-2013, 12:22 AM
1. The bread twist tie was invented in Maysville.
2. The shopping cart was invented in Ardmore in 1936.
3. The nation's first parking meter was installed in Oklahoma City in 1935.
4. The first Girl Scout Cookie was sold in Muskogee in 1917.
5. Cimarron County, located in the Oklahoma Panhandle, is the only county in the U.S. bordered by 4 separate states...Texas,New Mexico, Colorado & Kansas .
6. The Oklahoma State Capital is the only capital in the U.S. with working oil wells on its grounds.
7. Boise City,Oklahoma was the only city in the United States to be bombed during World War II. On Monday night, July 5,1943, at 12:30 a.m., a B-17 Bomber based at Dalhart Army Air Base,Texas, dropped six practice bombs on the sleeping town, mistaking the city lights as target lights.COLEMAN - - THE BOMBS WERE PLAY LIKE BOMBS IN FACT,SACKS OF FLOUR - TO REMIND THEM OKIES IN THE OUTBACK THE DRILL WAS FOR THEM TOO. THE ONLY HARM ---- WHITE ROOFS.
8.. WKY Radio in Oklahoma City was the first radio station transmitting west of the Mississippi River .
9. The nation's first 'Tornado Warning' was issued on March 25,1948 in Oklahoma City minutes before a devastating tornado. Because of the warning, no lives were lost.
10. Oklahoma has the largest Native American population of any state in the U.S. It also has 234 different Indian Tribes......
11. The name 'Oklahoma' comes from two Choctaw words...Okla. meaning 'people' and humma meaning 'red'. So the name means, 'Red People.'
The name was approved in 1890.
12. Oklahoma produced more astronauts than any other state.
13. Oklahoma has more man made lakes than any other state.
14. During the 'Land Rush', Oklahoma City went from a vast, open prairie to a city of over 10,000 in a single day.
15. The nation's first traffic 'Yield' sign was erected in Tulsa on a trial basis.
16. Pensacola Dam is the longest multi-arched dam in the world at 6,565 feet.
17. The ' Port of Catoosa ' (just north of Tulsa ) is the largest inland port in America .
18. The aerosol can was invented in Bartlesville .
19. Per square mile, Oklahoma has more tornadoes than any other place in the world.
20. The highest wind speed ever recorded on earth was in Moore, Oklahoma on May 3rd. 1999 during the Oklahoma City F-5 tornado. Wind speed was clocked at 318 mph.
21. The 'Will Rogers World Airport' and the 'Wiley Post Airport' are both named after two famous Okies....both killed in an airplane crash!!!
22. Cushing,Oklahoma is the "Pipeline Crossroads of the World." And has the largest storage of oil in the world.
(MORE NEAT STUFF BELOW)
Why Travel To Other Cities? Oklahoma Has Them All!
Santa Fe, Oklahoma
St. Louis, Oklahoma
Don't Forget The Wildlife!
We Have A Town Named After A Number...
And A Town Who's Letter's Don't Spell Anything...
We Even Have A City Named After Earth's Only Satellite!
And A City Named After Our State!
Like To Read About The Presidents?
Other City Names In Oklahoma To Make You Smile.....
And Regardless What Side Of The Fence You're On...
*Not on the list is:
(Oklahoma is the only State to have its Capital stolen and moved in the middle of the night from Guthrie to Oklahoma City.
Also Guthrie has an original Carnegie Library and the Largest Masonic Temple in the World. Watonga has more rattle snakes than people.)
It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.
02-04-2013, 12:37 AM
02-04-2013, 09:43 AM3. The nation's first parking meter was installed in Oklahoma City in 1935.May the FORCE be with you!
02-04-2013, 10:13 AM--Odysseus
Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.
Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|